A comprehensive non-redundant gene catalog reveals extensive within-community intraspecies diversity in the human vagina
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAnalysis of metagenomic and metatranscriptomic data is complicated and typically requires extensive computational resources. Leveraging a curated reference database of genes encoded by members of the target microbiome can make these analyses more tractable. In this study, we assemble a comprehensive human vaginal non-redundant gene catalog (VIRGO) that includes 0.95 million non-redundant genes. The gene catalog is functionally and taxonomically annotated. We also construct a vaginal orthologous groups (VOG) from VIRGO. The gene-centric design of VIRGO and VOG provides an easily accessible tool to comprehensively characterize the structure and function of vaginal metagenome and metatranscriptome datasets. To highlight the utility of VIRGO, we analyze 1,507 additional vaginal metagenomes, and identify a high degree of intraspecies diversity within and across vaginal microbiota. VIRGO offers a convenient reference database and toolkit that will facilitate a more in-depth understanding of the role of vaginal microorganisms in women's health and reproductive outcomes. Copyright 2020, The Author(s).
SponsorsNational Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIAID: R01AI116799; National Institute of Nursing Research, NINR: R01NR015495
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85080073919&doi=10.1038%2fs41467-020-14677-3&partnerID=40&md5=bf4770dab845a9ecdbe499d6ee1a3908; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12172
- Species-level classification of the vaginal microbiome.
- Authors: Fettweis JM, Serrano MG, Sheth NU, Mayer CM, Glascock AL, Brooks JP, Jefferson KK, Vaginal Microbiome Consortium (additional members)., Buck GA
- Issue date: 2012
- Functional dynamics of bacterial species in the mouse gut microbiome revealed by metagenomic and metatranscriptomic analyses.
- Authors: Chung YW, Gwak HJ, Moon S, Rho M, Ryu JH
- Issue date: 2020
- In Silico and Experimental Evaluation of Primer Sets for Species-Level Resolution of the Vaginal Microbiota Using 16S Ribosomal RNA Gene Sequencing.
- Authors: Van Der Pol WJ, Kumar R, Morrow CD, Blanchard EE, Taylor CM, Martin DH, Lefkowitz EJ, Muzny CA
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 7
- A metagenomic approach to characterization of the vaginal microbiome signature in pregnancy.
- Authors: Aagaard K, Riehle K, Ma J, Segata N, Mistretta TA, Coarfa C, Raza S, Rosenbaum S, Van den Veyver I, Milosavljevic A, Gevers D, Huttenhower C, Petrosino J, Versalovic J
- Issue date: 2012
- Diversity of the vaginal microbiome correlates with preterm birth.
- Authors: Hyman RW, Fukushima M, Jiang H, Fung E, Rand L, Johnson B, Vo KC, Caughey AB, Hilton JF, Davis RW, Giudice LC
- Issue date: 2014 Jan