Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4α negatively regulates connective tissue growth factor during liver regeneration
PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLiver regeneration after injury requires fine‐tune regulation of connective tissue growth factor (Ctgf). It also involves dynamic expression of hepatocyte nuclear factor (Hnf)4α, Yes‐associated protein (Yap), and transforming growth factor (Tgf)‐β. The upstream inducers of Ctgf, such as Yap, etc, are well‐known. However, the negative regulator of Ctgf remains unclear. Here, we investigated the Hnf4α regulation of Ctgf post‐various types of liver injury. Both wild‐type animals and animals contained siRNA‐mediated Hnf4α knockdown and Cre‐mediated Ctgf conditional deletion were used. We observed that Ctgf induction was associated with Hnf4α decline, nuclear Yap accumulation, and Tgf‐β upregulation during early stage of liver regeneration. The Ctgf promoter contained an Hnf4α binding sequence that overlapped with the cis‐regulatory element for Yap and Tgf‐β. Ctgf loss attenuated inflammation, hepatocyte proliferation, and collagen synthesis, whereas Hnf4α knockdown enhanced Ctgf induction and liver fibrogenesis. These findings provided a new mechanism about fine‐tuned regulation of Ctgf through Hnf4α antagonism of Yap and Tgf‐β activities to balance regenerative and fibrotic signals.
Keywordconnective tissue growth factor (Ctgf)
hepatocyte nuclear factor 4α (Hnf4α)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85079456766&doi=10.1096%2ffj.201902382R&partnerID=40&md5=54dce477471eeaf1a70cc7dbfcf1c3c4; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12132
- S1P Stimulates Proliferation by Upregulating CTGF Expression through S1PR2-Mediated YAP Activation.
- Authors: Cheng JC, Wang EY, Yi Y, Thakur A, Tsai SH, Hoodless PA
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- YAP integrates the regulatory Snail/HNF4α circuitry controlling epithelial/hepatocyte differentiation.
- Authors: Noce V, Battistelli C, Cozzolino AM, Consalvi V, Cicchini C, Strippoli R, Tripodi M, Marchetti A, Amicone L
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 10
- Profibrogenic transforming growth factor-beta/activin receptor-like kinase 5 signaling via connective tissue growth factor expression in hepatocytes.
- Authors: Weng HL, Ciuclan L, Liu Y, Hamzavi J, Godoy P, Gaitantzi H, Kanzler S, Heuchel R, Ueberham U, Gebhardt R, Breitkopf K, Dooley S
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Taurocholate Induces Connective Tissue Growth Factor Expression in Hepatocytes Through ERK-YAP Signaling.
- Authors: Yu B, Jin GN, Ma M, Liang HF, Zhang BX, Chen XP, Ding ZY
- Issue date: 2018
- A negative reciprocal regulatory axis between cyclin D1 and HNF4α modulates cell cycle progression and metabolism in the liver.
- Authors: Wu H, Reizel T, Wang YJ, Lapiro JL, Kren BT, Schug J, Rao S, Morgan A, Herman A, Shekels LL, Rassette MS, Lane AN, Cassel T, Fan TWM, Manivel JC, Gunewardena S, Apte U, Sicinski P, Kaestner KH, Albrecht JH
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 21