JournalBMJ (Clinical research ed.)
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStroke is the leading cause of long term disability in developed countries and one of the top causes of mortality worldwide. The past decade has seen substantial advances in the diagnostic and treatment options available to minimize the impact of acute ischemic stroke. The key first step in stroke care is early identification of patients with stroke and triage to centers capable of delivering the appropriate treatment, as fast as possible. Here, we review the data supporting pre-hospital and emergency stroke care, including use of emergency medical services protocols for identification of patients with stroke, intravenous thrombolysis in acute ischemic stroke including updates to recommended patient eligibility criteria and treatment time windows, and advanced imaging techniques with automated interpretation to identify patients with large areas of brain at risk but without large completed infarcts who are likely to benefit from endovascular thrombectomy in extended time windows from symptom onset. We also review protocols for management of patient physiologic parameters to minimize infarct volumes and recent updates in secondary prevention recommendations including short term use of dual antiplatelet therapy to prevent recurrent stroke in the high risk period immediately after stroke. Finally, we discuss emerging therapies and questions for future research.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85079334811&doi=10.1136%2fbmj.l6983&partnerID=40&md5=26b42bacacf0de0f370cda80e404fb0b; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12073
- Trial design and reporting standards for intra-arterial cerebral thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke.
- Authors: Higashida RT, Furlan AJ, Roberts H, Tomsick T, Connors B, Barr J, Dillon W, Warach S, Broderick J, Tilley B, Sacks D, Technology Assessment Committee of the American Society of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology., Technology Assessment Committee of the Society of Interventional Radiology.
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- [Treatment of arterial and venous brain ischemia. Experts' recommendations: stroke management in the intensive care unit].
- Authors: Calvet D, Bracard S, Mas JL, French Society of Intensive Care.
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Organizing for Acute Arterial Ischemic Stroke in Children.
- Authors: Amlie-Lefond C, Wainwright MS
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Two-year clinical follow-up of the Multicenter Randomized Clinical Trial of Endovascular Treatment for Acute Ischemic Stroke in The Netherlands (MR CLEAN): design and statistical analysis plan of the extended follow-up study.
- Authors: van den Berg LA, Dijkgraaf MG, Berkhemer OA, Fransen PS, Beumer D, Lingsma H, Majoie CB, Dippel DW, van der Lugt AJ, van Oostenbrugge RJ, van Zwam WH, Roos YB, MR CLEAN invesigators.
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 22
- Clinical presentation, diagnostic findings and management of cerebral ischemic events in patients on treatment with non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants - A systematic review.
- Authors: Meinel TR, Frey S, Arnold M, Kendroud S, Fischer U, Kaesmacher J, Heldner MR, Jung S
- Issue date: 2019