JournalChild Abuse and Neglect
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study represents the first comprehensive assessment of the school performance of children placed in the care of a relative, an arrangement termed kinship care. The educational programs, academic achievement, and cognitive and language skills of the children were assessed with a teacher questionnaire and standardized tests. Compared to their peers, high rates of grade retention and participation in special and remedial education, as well as significant academic achievement, cognitive, and language deficits were found. Most teachers, however, reported that educational services were appropriate and several interventions had proven successful. Analyses of predictor variables showed that placement at a later age and fewer children in the home were associated with higher academic achievement. Results are reviewed in the context of other foster care studies, and recommendations are made regarding future research and educational needs of children in kinship care.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-0028227426&doi=10.1016%2f0145-2134%2894%2990085-X&partnerID=40&md5=24760836afcab6af653c01dc822cecbb; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11934
- Does parents' evaluation of developmental status at school entry predict language, achievement, and quality of life 2 years later?
- Authors: Wake M, Gerner B, Gallagher S
- Issue date: 2005 May-Jun
- Parental substance abuse and the development of children in family foster care.
- Authors: McNichol T, Tash C
- Issue date: 2001 Mar-Apr
- Associations between intensity of child welfare involvement and child development among young children in child welfare.
- Authors: Stahmer AC, Hurlburt M, Horwitz SM, Landsverk J, Zhang J, Leslie LK
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Cognitive and academic consequences of bronchopulmonary dysplasia and very low birth weight: 8-year-old outcomes.
- Authors: Short EJ, Klein NK, Lewis BA, Fulton S, Eisengart S, Kercsmar C, Baley J, Singer LT
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Evaluation of the child with developmental delay.
- Authors: Chi CS
- Issue date: 2005 Jul-Aug