Father involvement and children's functioning at age 6 years: A multisite study
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractResearch suggests that fathers' involvement in their children's lives is associated with enhanced child functioning. The current study examined (a) whether presence of a father was associated with better child functioning, (b) whether children's perceptions of fathers' support was associated with better functioning, and (c) whether the above association was moderated by the father's relationship to the child, the child's race, and the child's gender. Participants included 855 six-year-old children and their caregivers. Father presence was associated with better cognitive development and greater perceived competence by the children. For children with a father figure, those who described greater father support had a stronger sense of social competence and fewer depressive symptoms. The associations did not differ by child's gender, race, or relationship to the father figure. These findings support the value of fathers' presence and support to their children's functioning. Priorities for future research include clarifying what mo-tivates fathers to be positively involved in their children's lives and finding strategies to achieve this. Copyright 2001 Sage Publications.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-0035513873&doi=10.1177%2f1077559501006004003&partnerID=40&md5=8c1e171a28f7e89918c0627c8122262b; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11914
- Fathers and the well-child visit.
- Authors: Garfield CF, Isacco A
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Fathers' and mothers' perceptions of their child and maternal depressive symptoms.
- Authors: Luoma I, Koivisto AM, Tamminen T
- Issue date: 2004
- A Longitudinal Study of Fathers' and Young Children's Depressive Symptoms.
- Authors: Tichovolsky MH, Griffith SF, Rolon-Arroyo B, Arnold DH, Harvey EA
- Issue date: 2018
- Mother- and father-rated competence, child-perceived competence, and cognitive distortions: unique relations with children's depressive symptoms.
- Authors: Epkins CC
- Issue date: 1998 Dec
- Cultural influences on positive father involvement in two-parent Mexican-origin families.
- Authors: Cruz RA, King KM, Widaman KF, Leu J, Cauce AM, Conger RD
- Issue date: 2011 Oct