JournalJournal of Child Sexual Abuse
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSixty-eight parents of children with alleged child sexual abuse (CSA) were surveyed 4 months after visiting an interdisciplinary CSA evaluation clinic in order to examine the extent to which recommendations were recalled and implemented. Of those parents for whom specific recommendations were provided, 9% recalled recommendations for medical follow-up, 79% recalled recommendations for child therapy, and 43% recalled recommendations for parental therapy. Families were more likely to receive and adhere to recommendations when there were behavioral problems and a strong indication of CSA. To improve communication with families, the reasons for recommendations must be clearly conveyed, and possible barriers to implementation should be anticipated and addressed. In addition, recommendations need to be realistic, and professionals need to facilitate the implementation of their treatment plan. Copyright 2002 by The Haworth Press, Inc. All rights reserved.
KeywordBarriers to services
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-0142209310&doi=10.1300%2fJ070v11n04_02&partnerID=40&md5=c77325fb3de4c2bae9db2247eac94652; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11906
- Clinical practice: recognizing child sexual abuse-what makes it so difficult?
- Authors: Vrolijk-Bosschaart TF, Brilleslijper-Kater SN, Benninga MA, Lindauer RJL, Teeuw AH
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- A process for developing community consensus regarding the diagnosis and management of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
- Authors: Foy JM, Earls MF
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- The Amsterdam Sexual Abuse Case (ASAC)-study in day care centers: longitudinal effects of sexual abuse on infants and very young children and their parents, and the consequences of the persistence of abusive images on the internet.
- Authors: Lindauer RJ, Brilleslijper-Kater SN, Diehle J, Verlinden E, Teeuw AH, Middeldorp CM, Tuinebreijer W, Bosschaart TF, van Duin E, Verhoeff A
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 8
- The diagnosis of child sexual abuse.
- Authors: Dubowitz H, Black M, Harrington D
- Issue date: 1992 Jun
- Extrafamilial sexual abuse: treatment for child victims and their families.
- Authors: Grosz CA, Kempe RS, Kelly M
- Issue date: 2000 Jan