PublisherAmerican Academy of Pediatrics
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective. The goal was to examine the association between early childhood neglect (birth to age 2 years) and later childhood aggression at ages 4, 6, and 8 years, compared with aggression's associations with early childhood abuse and later abuse and neglect. Methods. A prospective cohort of 1318 predominantly at-risk children, recruited from 4 US cities and 1 southern state, were monitored from birth to 8 years of age. Maltreatment was determined through review of local child protective services records. A hierarchical, linear model approach, a special case of general, linear, mixed modeling, was used to predict aggressive behavior scores, as reported by the child's primary caregiver at ages 4, 6, and 8 years. Results. Only early neglect significantly predicted aggression scores. Early abuse, later abuse, and later neglect were not significantly predictive in a controlled model with all 4 predictors. Coclusion. This longitudinal study suggests that child neglect in the first 2 years of life may be a more-important precursor of childhood aggression than later neglect or physical abuse at any age. Copyright 2008 by the American Academy ofPediatrics.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-42949129630&doi=10.1542%2fpeds.2006-3622&partnerID=40&md5=773507f8c68cec0b89e5c89688429695; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11876
- Associations between maternal childhood maltreatment and psychopathology and aggression during pregnancy and postpartum.
- Authors: Lang AJ, Rodgers CS, Lebeck MM
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Maternal attitudinal inflexibility: longitudinal relations with mother-infant disrupted interaction and childhood hostile-aggressive behavior problems.
- Authors: Najmi S, Bureau JF, Chen D, Lyons-Ruth K
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Effect of early childhood adversity on child health.
- Authors: Flaherty EG, Thompson R, Litrownik AJ, Theodore A, English DJ, Black MM, Wike T, Whimper L, Runyan DK, Dubowitz H
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- The relation of emotional maltreatment to early adolescent competence: developmental processes in a prospective study.
- Authors: Shaffer A, Yates TM, Egeland BR
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Risk factors for paternal physical child abuse.
- Authors: Lee SJ, Guterman NB, Lee Y
- Issue date: 2008 Sep