Screening for occult abdominal trauma in children with suspected physical abuse
PublisherAmerican Academy of Pediatrics
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVES: The goals were (1) to determine the prevalence of occult abdominal trauma (OAT) in a sample of children with suspected physical abuse, (2) to assess the frequency of OAT screening, and (3) to assess factors associated with screening. METHODS: Charts of children evaluated for abusive injury were identified through a search of hospital discharge codes. Identified charts were reviewed to determine whether OAT screening occurred. Data on results of screening tests, abusive injuries identified, family demographic features, and characteristics of the emergency department visit were collected. RESULTS: Screening occurred for 51 (20%) of 244 eligible children. Positive results were identified for 41% of those screened and 9% of the total sample; 5% of children 12 to 23 months of age had OAT identified through imaging studies. Screening occurred more often in children presenting with probable abusive head trauma (odds ratio [OR]: 20.4 [95% confidence interval [CI]: 3.6-114.6]; P < .01), compared with those presenting with other injuries. Consultation with the child protection team (OR: 8.5 [95% CI: 3.5-20.7]; P < .01) and other subspecialists (OR: 24.3 [95% CI: 7.1-83.3]; P < .01) also increased the likelihood that OAT screening would occur. CONCLUSIONS: Our findings support OAT screening with liver and pancreatic enzyme measurements for physically abused children. This study also supports the importance of subspecialty input, especially that of a child protection team. Although many identified injuries may not require treatment, their role in confirming or demonstrating increased severity of maltreatment may be critical. Copyright 2009 by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-71949122962&doi=10.1542%2fpeds.2009-0904&partnerID=40&md5=91bf27434a387db0e1bf1f52cee15ed4; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11871
- Utility of hepatic transaminases to recognize abuse in children.
- Authors: Lindberg D, Makoroff K, Harper N, Laskey A, Bechtel K, Deye K, Shapiro R, ULTRA Investigators.
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Utility of hepatic transaminases in children with concern for abuse.
- Authors: Lindberg DM, Shapiro RA, Blood EA, Steiner RD, Berger RP, ExSTRA investigators.
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Markers for occult liver injury in cases of physical abuse in children.
- Authors: Coant PN, Kornberg AE, Brody AS, Edwards-Holmes K
- Issue date: 1992 Feb
- A systematic review of abusive visceral injuries in childhood--their range and recognition.
- Authors: Maguire SA, Upadhyaya M, Evans A, Mann MK, Haroon MM, Tempest V, Lumb RC, Kemp AM
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Injuries associated with pediatric liver trauma.
- Authors: Deluca JA, Maxwell DR, Flaherty SK, Prigozen JM, Scragg ME, Stone PA
- Issue date: 2007 Jan