Suicidal ideation in adolescence: Examining the role of recent adverse experiences
JournalJournal of Adolescence
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough there is a well-known link between adverse experiences and suicidal ideation, there has been little study of the effects of recent adverse experiences on suicidal ideation in teenagers. This study examined the association between recent adverse experiences and suicidal ideation in a sample of 740 at-risk 16-year-old youth in the LONGSCAN studies, as well as potential mediators. 8.9% of the youth reported suicidal ideation. Recent adverse experiences, as a class, were associated with suicidal ideation; both recent physical abuse and recent psychological maltreatment were uniquely associated with suicidal ideation. The links between recent adverse experiences and suicidal ideation were significantly mediated by psychological distress. There were also significant main effect associations between both internalizing behavioral problems and low positive achievement expectations and suicidal ideation. Recent adverse experiences are important in understanding suicidal ideation in high risk youth. Copyright 2011 The Foundation for Professionals in Services for Adolescents.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-84855573106&doi=10.1016%2fj.adolescence.2011.03.003&partnerID=40&md5=65d84065c5bab4178a4198ddad860da1; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11839
- Adverse Experiences and Suicidal Ideation in Adolescence: Exploring the Link Using the LONGSCAN Samples.
- Authors: Thompson R, Litrownik AJ, Isbell P, Everson MD, English DJ, Dubowitz H, Proctor LJ, Flaherty EG
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 1
- Suicidal ideation among 8-year-olds who are maltreated and at risk: findings from the LONGSCAN studies.
- Authors: Thompson R, Briggs E, English DJ, Dubowitz H, Lee LC, Brody K, Everson MD, Hunter WM
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- The relation between child maltreatment and adolescent suicidal behavior: a systematic review and critical examination of the literature.
- Authors: Miller AB, Esposito-Smythers C, Weismoore JT, Renshaw KD
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Adolescent violence perpetration: associations with multiple types of adverse childhood experiences.
- Authors: Duke NN, Pettingell SL, McMorris BJ, Borowsky IW
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Exploitation, Violence, and Suicide Risk Among Child and Adolescent Survivors of Human Trafficking in the Greater Mekong Subregion.
- Authors: Kiss L, Yun K, Pocock N, Zimmerman C
- Issue date: 2015 Sep