Correlates of parent-youth discordance about youth-witnessed violence: A brief report germany
JournalViolence and Victims
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStudies have consistently demonstrated a lack of agreement between youth and parent reports regarding youth-witnessed violence (YWV). However, little empirical investigation has been conducted on the correlates of disagreement. Concordance between youth and parents about YWV was examined in 766 parent-youth dyads from the Longitudinal Studies of Child Abuse and Neglect (LONGSCAN). Results showed that significantly more youth (42%) than parents (15%) reported YWV. Among the dyads in which at least one informant reported YWV (N =344), we assessed whether youth delinquency, parental monitoring, parent-child relationship quality, history of child maltreatment, income, and parental depression were predictive of parent-youth concordance. Findings indicated that youth engagement in delinquent activities was higher in the groups in which the youth reported violence exposure. More empirical study is needed to assess correlates of agreement in high-risk youth to better inform associations found between exposures and outcomes as well as practice and policy for violence exposed youth. Copyright 2013 Springer Publishing Company.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-84884952021&doi=10.1891%2f0886-6708.VV-D-12-00053&partnerID=40&md5=63aec7ea91a905c2affde4221f0ab08a; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11833
- Parent-youth discordance about youth-witnessed violence: associations with trauma symptoms and service use in an at-risk sample.
- Authors: Lewis T, Thompson R, Kotch JB, Proctor LJ, Litrownik AJ, English DJ, Runyan DK, Wiley TR, Dubowitz H
- Issue date: 2012 Nov-Dec
- Examining the relationships between parent experiences and youth self-reports of slapping/spanking: a population-based cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Afifi TO, Fortier J, MacMillan HL, Gonzalez A, Kimber M, Georgiades K, Duncan L, Taillieu T, Davila IG, Struck S
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 22
- Child Effects on Lability in Parental Warmth and Hostility: Moderation by Parents' Internalizing Problems.
- Authors: Lippold MA, Fosco GM, Hussong A, Ram N
- Issue date: 2019 May
- The role of relationship proximity to witnessed community violence and youth outcomes.
- Authors: Elsaesser C, Kennedy TM, Tredinnick L
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Parenting Profiles and Adolescent Dating Relationship Abuse: Attitudes and Experiences.
- Authors: Mumford EA, Liu W, Taylor BG
- Issue date: 2016 May