JournalPaediatrics and Child Health (Canada)
PublisherCanadian Paediatric Society
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNeglect is a pervasive form of child maltreatment. Health care practitioners often struggle with deciding when an action (or lack of action) by a caregiver constitutes inadequate care and is neglectful. The present article discusses the epidemiology, risk factors and outcomes of neglect. In addition, assessment using objective markers, such as harm and potential harm, in the identification of neglect is described, and unique factors that impact assessing and addressing issues of neglect in the clinical setting are discussed. Practical strategies for intervening in cases of neglect are discussed, including how to engage families in which there are concerns for neglect, mandated reporting, working collaboratively with children's services, ongoing monitoring of families, and how health care professionals can effectively engage in neglect prevention and advocacy.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-84885393560&partnerID=40&md5=93ad9641be817e4a343470576fd4c391; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11831
- Mandatory reporting of child abuse and neglect: crafting a positive process for health professionals and caregivers.
- Authors: Pietrantonio AM, Wright E, Gibson KN, Alldred T, Jacobson D, Niec A
- Issue date: 2013 Feb-Mar
- Child neglect: definition and identification of youth's experiences in official reports of maltreatment.
- Authors: Mennen FE, Kim K, Sang J, Trickett PK
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Why are suspected cases of child maltreatment referred by educators so often unsubstantiated?
- Authors: King CB, Scott KL
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Developing and Validating a New Scale to Assess Signs of Neglect of Infants and Caregivers.
- Authors: Arimoto A, Tadaka E
- Issue date: 2021 Oct
- Commitment, confidence, and concerns: Assessing health care professionals' child maltreatment reporting attitudes.
- Authors: Foster RH, Olson-Dorff D, Reiland HM, Budzak-Garza A
- Issue date: 2017 May