Trajectories of Adverse Childhood Experiences and Self-Reported Health at Age 18
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective Despite growing evidence of links between adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and long-term health outcomes, there has been limited longitudinal investigation of such links in youth. The purpose of these analyses was to describe the patterns of exposure to ACEs over time and their links to youth health. Methods The current analyses used data from LONGSCAN, a prospective study of children at risk for or exposed to child maltreatment, who were followed from age 4 to age 18. The analyses focused on 802 youth with complete data. Cumulative exposure to ACEs between 4 and 16 was used to place participants in 3 trajectory-defined groups: chronic ACEs, early ACEs only, and limited ACEs. Links to self-reported health at age 18 were examined using linear mixed models after controlling for earlier health status and demographics. Results The chronic ACEs group had increased self-reported health concerns and use of medical care at 18 but not poorer self-rated health status. The early ACEs only group did not significantly differ from limited ACEs on outcomes. Conclusions In addition to other negative outcomes, chronic ACEs appear to affect physical health in emerging adulthood. Interventions aimed at reducing exposure to ACEs and early mitigation of their effects may have lasting and widespread health benefits. Copyright 2015 Academic Pediatric Association.
adverse childhood experiences
child abuse and neglect
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-84940937179&doi=10.1016%2fj.acap.2014.09.010&partnerID=40&md5=8702ac24f6b9e0e03378176a3bf6e51c; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11818
- Adverse childhood experiences and mental health in young adults: a longitudinal survey.
- Authors: Schilling EA, Aseltine RH Jr, Gore S
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 7
- Adverse Childhood Experiences and Mental Health, Chronic Medical Conditions, and Development in Young Children.
- Authors: Kerker BD, Zhang J, Nadeem E, Stein RE, Hurlburt MS, Heneghan A, Landsverk J, McCue Horwitz S
- Issue date: 2015 Sep-Oct
- Adverse Childhood Experiences and Health in Adulthood in a Rural Population-Based Sample.
- Authors: Iniguez KC, Stankowski RV
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Associations of adverse childhood experiences with educational attainment and adolescent health and the role of family and socioeconomic factors: A prospective cohort study in the UK.
- Authors: Houtepen LC, Heron J, Suderman MJ, Fraser A, Chittleborough CR, Howe LD
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Adverse Childhood Experiences and ADHD Diagnosis at Age 9 Years in a National Urban Sample.
- Authors: Jimenez ME, Wade R Jr, Schwartz-Soicher O, Lin Y, Reichman NE
- Issue date: 2017 May - Jun