Characteristics of Child Maltreatment and Adolescent Marijuana Use: A Prospective Study
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere has been increasing acceptance of marijuana use in the United States in recent years, and rates among adolescents have risen. At the same time, marijuana use during adolescence has been linked to an array of health and social problems. Maltreated children are at risk for marijuana use, but the relationships among characteristics of maltreatment and marijuana use are unclear. In this article, we examine how the type and the extent of maltreatment are related to the level of adolescent marijuana use. Data analyses were conducted on a subsample of maltreated adolescents (n = 702) from the Longitudinal Studies of Child Abuse and Neglect project. Approximately half the sample had used marijuana, and maltreatment was associated with its use. Multivariate regression models showed that being male, extensive maltreatment, and peer marijuana use were associated with heavy use of marijuana. These findings suggest the importance of comprehensively assessing children�s maltreatment experiences and their peers� drug use to help prevent or address possible marijuana use in these high-risk adolescents. Copyright The Author(s) 2015.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-84954350107&doi=10.1177%2f1077559515620853&partnerID=40&md5=e629a5125f8fa8e05741f6bc78161964; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11817
- Child maltreatment and age of alcohol and marijuana initiation in high-risk youth.
- Authors: Proctor LJ, Lewis T, Roesch S, Thompson R, Litrownik AJ, English D, Arria AM, Isbell P, Dubowitz H
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Neighborhood Disadvantage and Adolescent Substance Use Disorder: The Moderating Role of Maltreatment.
- Authors: Handley ED, Rogosch FA, Guild DJ, Cicchetti D
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Longitudinal trajectories of marijuana use from adolescence to young adulthood.
- Authors: Passarotti AM, Crane NA, Hedeker D, Mermelstein RJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- A longitudinal examination of the relationships between childhood maltreatment and patterns of adolescent substance use among high-risk adolescents.
- Authors: Hyucksun Shin S
- Issue date: 2012 Sep-Oct
- Child maltreatment in the United States: prevalence, risk factors, and adolescent health consequences.
- Authors: Hussey JM, Chang JJ, Kotch JB
- Issue date: 2006 Sep