Defective sarcomere organization and reduced larval locomotion and fish survival in slow muscle heavy chain 1 (smyhc1) mutants
JournalFASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
PublisherFederation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractZebrafish skeletal muscles are broadly divided into slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscle fibers. The slow fibers, which express a slow fiber-specific myosin heavy chain 1 (Smyhc1), are the first group of muscle fibers formed during myogenesis. To uncover Smyhc1 function in muscle growth, we generated three mutant alleles with reading frame shift mutations in the zebrafish smyhc1 gene using CRISPR. The mutants showed shortened sarcomeres with no thick filaments and M-lines in slow fibers of the mutant embryos. However, the formation of slow muscle precursors and expression of other slow muscle genes were not affected and fast muscles appeared normal. The smyhc1 mutant embryos and larvae showed reduced locomotion and food intake. The mutant larvae exhibited increased lethality of incomplete penetrance. Approximately 2/5 of the homozygous mutants were viable and grew into reproductive adults. These adult mutants displayed a typical pattern of slow and fast muscle fiber distribution, and regained normal slow muscle formation. Together, our studies indicate that Smyhc1 is essential for myogenesis in embryonic slow muscles, and loss of Smyhc1 results in defective sarcomere assembly, reduces larval motility and fish survival, but has no visible impact on muscle growth in juvenile and adult zebrafish that escape the larval lethality.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85077711055&doi=10.1096%2ffj.201900935RR&partnerID=40&md5=fac5e142b232f582891adffddde73c2b; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11684
- Zebrafish Embryonic Slow Muscle Is a Rapid System for Genetic Analysis of Sarcomere Organization by CRISPR/Cas9, but Not NgAgo.
- Authors: Cai M, Si Y, Zhang J, Tian Z, Du S
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Functional analysis of slow myosin heavy chain 1 and myomesin-3 in sarcomere organization in zebrafish embryonic slow muscles.
- Authors: Xu J, Gao J, Li J, Xue L, Clark KJ, Ekker SC, Du SJ
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Expression of multiple slow myosin heavy chain genes reveals a diversity of zebrafish slow twitch muscle fibres with differing requirements for Hedgehog and Prdm1 activity.
- Authors: Elworthy S, Hargrave M, Knight R, Mebus K, Ingham PW
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Defective sarcomere assembly in <i>smyd1a</i> and <i>smyd1b</i> zebrafish mutants.
- Authors: Cai M, Han L, Liu L, He F, Chu W, Zhang J, Tian Z, Du S
- Issue date: 2019 May
- The role of Sox6 in zebrafish muscle fiber type specification.
- Authors: Jackson HE, Ono Y, Wang X, Elworthy S, Cunliffe VT, Ingham PW
- Issue date: 2015