Establishing an Anal Cancer Screening Program in an Outpatient HIV Clinic: Referral Patterns and Patient Perceptions Survey
JournalJournal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPeople living with HIV are at high risk for anal cancer (AC); however, the impact of screening for and treatment of precancerous anal lesions on AC incidence remains uncertain. In 2013, we conducted a survey of HIV providers evaluating the perceived need for an institutional AC screening program. Based on an overwhelmingly positive response, we established a dedicated AC screening clinic (including provision of high-resolution anoscopies) embedded within the institutional HIV clinic. Here, we describe that referral of high-risk patients in the first 3 years was lower than expected. Referral patterns suggest that screening practices vary widely among HIV providers within the institution. Anal cancer clinic patients who completed a perception survey rated the value of AC screening as high, with perceived positive health impact, and identified their providers as the main source of information on AC and AC screening. Our findings imply remaining provider-related barriers to AC screening.
Keywordanal cancer screening
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85077786393&doi=10.1177%2f2325958219899530&partnerID=40&md5=27c216d42395a81a1d11e46f6343c2db; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11682
- Anal dysplasia screening: an evidence-based analysis.
- Authors: Medical Advisory Secretariat.
- Issue date: 2007
- Anal Cancer Screening in an Urban HIV Clinic: Provider Perceptions and Practice.
- Authors: Sowah LA, Buchwald UK, Riedel DJ, Gilliam BL, Khambaty M, Fantry L, Spencer DE, Weaver J, Taylor G, Skoglund M, Amoroso A, Redfield RR
- Issue date: 2015 Nov-Dec
- High-resolution anoscopy or expectant management for anal intraepithelial neoplasia for the prevention of anal cancer: is there really a difference?
- Authors: Crawshaw BP, Russ AJ, Stein SL, Reynolds HL, Marderstein EL, Delaney CP, Champagne BJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Establishing an anal dysplasia clinic for HIV-infected men: initial experience.
- Authors: Siekas LL, Aboulafia DM
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Human papillomavirus oncogene mRNA testing for the detection of anal dysplasia in HIV-positive men who have sex with men.
- Authors: Silling S, Kreuter A, Hellmich M, Swoboda J, Pfister H, Wieland U
- Issue date: 2012 Apr