Measurement of Retinal Microvascular Blood Velocity Using Erythrocyte Mediated Velocimetry
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChanges in retinal blood flow may be involved in the pathogenesis of glaucoma and other ocular diseases. Erythrocyte mediated velocimetry (EMV) is a novel technique where indocyanine green (ICG) dye is sequestered in erythrocyte ghosts and autologously re-injected to allow direct visualization of erythrocytes for in vivo measurement of speed. The purpose of this study is to determine the mean erythrocyte speed in the retinal microvasculature, as well as the intravisit and intervisit variability of EMV. Data from 23 EMV sessions from control, glaucoma suspect, and glaucoma patients were included in this study. In arteries with an average diameter of 43.11 µm ± 6.62 µm, the mean speed was 7.17 mm/s ± 2.35 mm/s. In veins with an average diameter of 45.87 µm ± 12.04 µm, the mean speed was 6.05 mm/s ± 1.96 mm/s. Intravisit variability, as measured by the mean coefficient of variation, was 3.57% (range 0.44–9.68%). Intervisit variability was 4.85% (range 0.15–8.43%). EMV may represent reliable method for determination of retinal blood speed, potentially allowing insights into the effects of pharmacologic agents or pathogenesis of ocular diseases. Copyright 2019, The Author(s).
SponsorsThis research was supported in part by Fight for Sight and the Program for Research Initiated by Students and Mentors (PRISM), University of Maryland School of Medicine Office of Student Research. Dr. Saeedi is supported by NIH Grant K23 EY025014.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85077341736&doi=10.1038%2fs41598-019-56239-8&partnerID=40&md5=320f34d4cd8cae8c9f5649026f28ae6c; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11595
- [A new approach for studying the retinal and choroidal circulation].
- Authors: Yoneya S
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Automated retinal microvascular velocimetry based on erythrocyte mediated angiography.
- Authors: Wang D, Haytham A, Mayo L, Tao Y, Saeedi O
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 1
- Reproducibility of spectral-domain optical coherence tomography measurements in adult and pediatric glaucoma.
- Authors: Ghasia FF, El-Dairi M, Freedman SF, Rajani A, Asrani S
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Observation of erythrocyte dynamics in the retinal capillaries and choriocapillaris using ICG-loaded erythrocyte ghost cells.
- Authors: Flower R, Peiretti E, Magnani M, Rossi L, Serafini S, Gryczynski Z, Gryczynski I
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Reproducibility of Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography Macular and Optic Nerve Head Vascular Density in Glaucoma and Healthy Eyes.
- Authors: Manalastas PIC, Zangwill LM, Saunders LJ, Mansouri K, Belghith A, Suh MH, Yarmohammadi A, Penteado RC, Akagi T, Shoji T, Weinreb RN
- Issue date: 2017 Oct