Lipid-Lowering Efficacy of Ezetimibe in Patients with Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analyses
JournalAmerican Journal of Cardiovascular Drugs
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: Patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD), especially those with recent (< 1 year) acute coronary syndrome (ACS), are at high risk for recurrent cardiovascular events. This risk can be reduced by lowering low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) levels. A comprehensive meta-analysis on the LDL-C-lowering efficacy of ezetimibe is lacking. This study attempts to address this gap. Methods: A systematic literature review of randomized controlled trials evaluating the LDL-C-lowering efficacy of ezetimibe in the ASCVD population was conducted. MEDLINE, EMBASE, and the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials were searched for publications from database inception to August 2018 and for conference abstracts from 2015 to August 2018. Meta-analyses were conducted to evaluate the LDL-C-lowering efficacy of ezetimibe in the ASCVD population and the recent ACS subgroup. Results: In total, 12 studies were eligible for the meta-analyses. Treatment with combination ezetimibe plus statin therapy showed greater absolute LDL-C reduction than statin monotherapy (mean difference − 21.86 mg/dL; 95% confidence interval [CI] − 26.56 to − 17.17; p < 0.0001) after 6 months of treatment (or at a timepoint closest to 6 months). Similarly, in patients with recent ACS, combination ezetimibe plus statin therapy was favorable compared with statin monotherapy (mean treatment difference − 19.19 mg/dL; 95% CI − 25.22 to − 13.16; p < 0.0001). Conclusions: Ezetimibe, when added to statin therapy, provided a modest additional reduction in LDL-C compared with statin monotherapy. However, this may not be sufficient for some patients with ASCVD who have especially high LDL-C levels despite optimal statin therapy. Copyright 2019, The Author(s).
SponsorsThis analysis was funded by Sanofi and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85075205687&doi=10.1007%2fs40256-019-00379-9&partnerID=40&md5=312c2f38d0a140b52acacb8e734b2775; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11478
- Adding ezetimibe to statin therapy: latest evidence and clinical implications.
- Authors: Vavlukis M, Vavlukis A
- Issue date: 2018
- Ezetimibe for the prevention of cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality events.
- Authors: Zhan S, Tang M, Liu F, Xia P, Shu M, Wu X
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 19
- Lowering Targeted Atherogenic Lipoprotein Cholesterol Goals for Patients at "Extreme" ASCVD Risk.
- Authors: Rosenblit PD
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 21
- Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol targeting with pitavastatin + ezetimibe for patients with acute coronary syndrome and dyslipidaemia: the HIJ-PROPER study, a prospective, open-label, randomized trial.
- Authors: Hagiwara N, Kawada-Watanabe E, Koyanagi R, Arashi H, Yamaguchi J, Nakao K, Tobaru T, Tanaka H, Oka T, Endoh Y, Saito K, Uchida T, Matsui K, Ogawa H
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1