JournalJournal of medical case reports
PublisherBioMed Central Ltd.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractINTRODUCTION: In the United States, cocaine is a commonly used drug of abuse. It is also a recognized contributing factor for both hemorrhagic and ischemic strokes. However, cocaine-induced basilar artery thrombosis has rarely been reported in the literature. CASE PRESENTATION: Our patient was a 51-year-old African American woman with a history of polysubstance abuse who presented to the emergency department for acute behavior changes. Later, during admission, she had a dramatic decrease in motor strength in all extremities and a positive Babinski reflex bilaterally. The results of her toxicology reports were positive for cocaine; in addition, results of magnetic resonance angiography and magnetic resonance imaging were consistent with acute thrombosis and subsequent infarction of the basilar artery. Her mental status improved, but she was only able to communicate via movements of her eyes. CONCLUSION: Our patient developed locked-in syndrome after use of cocaine. Given the prevalence of its use in the United States, cocaine use should be included among the potential causes of locked-in syndrome.
Magnetic resonance imaging
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85075115077&doi=10.1186%2fs13256-019-2278-2&partnerID=40&md5=f184a7f36580452068eea1e4b033bd5e; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11466
- Cocaine-Induced Acute Fatal Basilar Artery Thrombosis: Report of a Case and Review of the Literature.
- Authors: Alqahtani SA, Burger K, Potolicchio S
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 25
- Fatal basilar artery thrombosis after traumatic cervical facet dislocation. Case report.
- Authors: Vishteh AG, Coscarella E, Nguyen B, Sonntag VK, McDougall CG
- Issue date: 1999 Sep
- Perfusion and diffusion tensor imaging in a patient with locked-in syndrome after neurosurgical vascular bypass and endovascular embolization of a basilar artery aneurysm: case report.
- Authors: Lui YW, Law M, Jafar JJ, Douglas A, Nelson PK
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Transient total locked-in syndrome due to vertebral and basilar artery dissection.
- Authors: Inatomi Y, Nakajima M, Yonahara T
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 22
- Childhood acute basilar artery thrombosis successfully treated with mechanical thrombectomy using stent retrievers: case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Nicosia G, Cicala D, Mirone G, Spennato P, Trischitta V, Ruggiero C, Guarneri G, Muto M, Cinalli G
- Issue date: 2017 Feb