Clinical results of ab interno trabeculotomy using the trabectome in patients with uveitic glaucoma
JournalClinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImportance: To evaluate the safety and efficacy of ab interno trabeculotomy (AIT) (trabecular ablation) with the trabectome in patients with uveitic glaucoma. Background: Traditional glaucoma filtration surgeries in the uveitic patient population come with a higher risk of complications such as failure and hypotony. Design: Retrospective observational cohort study. Participants: All patients diagnosed with uveitic glaucoma were included in this study. Patients were excluded if they have less than 12 months of follow-up. Methods: All patients who received AIT alone or combined with phacoemulsification. Main Outcome Measures: Major outcomes include intraocular pressure (IOP), number of glaucoma medications and secondary glaucoma surgery, if any. Kaplan-Meier method was used for survival analysis and success was defined as IOP ≤21 mmHg, at least 20% IOP reduction from baseline for any two consecutive visits after 3 months, no additional glaucoma medications, and no secondary glaucoma surgery. Results: A total of 45 eyes, 45 patients, with an average age of 52 years were included in the study. The majority were Japanese (40%) and underwent AIT alone (71%). IOP was reduced from 29.2 ± 8.0 to 16.7 ± 4.6 mmHg at 12 months (P < .01*), while the number of glaucoma medications was reduced from 4.0 ± 1.0 to 2.5 ± 1.6 (P < .01*). Survival rate at 12 months was 91%. Six cases required secondary glaucoma surgery and no other serious complication were reported. Conclusions and Relevance: The trabectome AIT procedure appears to be effective in reducing IOP in uveitic glaucoma patients. Although no statistically significant difference was found in the number of glaucoma medications, a decreasing trend was found. Copyright 2019 The Authors.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85074590216&doi=10.1111%2fceo.13639&partnerID=40&md5=fd3a23c5810ae771f348b76e5954ec46; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11431
- Ab interno trabecular bypass surgery with Trabectome for open-angle glaucoma.
- Authors: Hu K, Shah A, Virgili G, Bunce C, Gazzard G
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 4
- Short-Term Clinical Results of Ab Interno Trabeculotomy Using the Trabectome with or without Cataract Surgery for Open-Angle Glaucoma Patients of High Intraocular Pressure.
- Authors: Akil H, Chopra V, Huang AS, Swamy R, Francis BA
- Issue date: 2017
- Trabeculectomy ab interno with the Trabectome® as a therapeutic option for uveitic secondary glaucoma.
- Authors: Anton A, Heinzelmann S, Neß T, Lübke J, Neuburger M, Jordan JF, Wecker T
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Glaucoma Surgery Calculator: Limited Additive Effect of Phacoemulsification on Intraocular Pressure in Ab Interno Trabeculectomy.
- Authors: Neiweem AE, Bussel II, Schuman JS, Brown EN, Loewen NA
- Issue date: 2016
- Clinical results of ab interno trabeculotomy using the Trabectome in patients with pigmentary glaucoma compared to primary open angle glaucoma.
- Authors: Akil H, Chopra V, Huang A, Loewen N, Noguchi J, Francis BA
- Issue date: 2016 Sep