Adenochondroma of the Thyroid in a 3-Year-Old Female: A Case Report
JournalEar, Nose and Throat Journal
PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFollicular adenomas are the most common benign thyroid neoplasm but are unusual in children. However, other rare degenerative lesions and those of developmental origin can also present as thyroid masses. This article reports the first described pediatric thyroid adenochondroma. A 3-year-old female presented with a hard mass in the right lobe of her thyroid with nondiagnostic imaging and cytology findings. She underwent a right thyroid lobectomy uneventfully. Final histopathology examination confirmed an adenochondroma. To the best of our knowledge, an adenochondroma of the thyroid gland in a child has not been previously reported in literature. Though a rare and benign entity, thyroid adenochondromas present clinically with many features concerning for malignancy. Therefore, these lesions should be considered in the differential diagnosis of pediatric thyroid masses. Copyright: The Author(s) 2019.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85074682248&doi=10.1177%2f0145561319881504&partnerID=40&md5=fc76c13dd84535d5439fd2beb8eaadf3; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11423
- Benign teratoma of the thyroid gland.
- Authors: Oak CY, Kim HK, Yoon TM, Lim SC, Park HB, Park HC, Han MG, Kang HC
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Rare Occurrence of Incidental Finding of Noninvasive Follicular Thyroid Neoplasm With Papillary-Like Nuclear Features in Hürthle Cell Adenoma.
- Authors: Pigac B, Masic S, Hutinec Z, Masic V
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Hurthle cell tumor of the thyroid gland: report of a rare case and review of literature.
- Authors: Okere PC, Olusina DB, Enyinnah MO
- Issue date: 2014 May-Jun
- Symptomatic calcification of a thyroid lobe and surrounding tissue after radioactive iodine treatment to ablate the lobe.
- Authors: Kim JH, Park JH, Kim SY, Bae HY
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- BRAF<sup>K601E</sup> Mutation in a Follicular Thyroid Adenoma: A Case Report.
- Authors: Macerola E, Torregrossa L, Ugolini C, Bakkar S, Vitti P, Fadda G, Basolo F
- Issue date: 2017 Jun