Dopamine neuron ensembles signal the content of sensory prediction errors
PublisherHoward Hughes Medical Institute
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDopamine neurons respond to errors in predicting value-neutral sensory information. These data, combined with causal evidence that dopamine transients support sensory-based associative learning, suggest that the dopamine system signals a multidimensional prediction error. Yet such complexity is not evident in the activity of individual neurons or population averages. How then do downstream areas know what to learn in response to these signals? One possibility is that information about content is contained in the pattern of firing across many dopamine neurons. Consistent with this, here we show that the pattern of firing across a small group of dopamine neurons recorded in rats signals the identity of a mis-predicted sensory event. Further, this same information is reflected in the BOLD response elicited by sensory prediction errors in human midbrain. These data provide evidence that ensembles of dopamine neurons provide highly specific teaching signals, opening new possibilities for how this system might contribute to learning.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85074675843&doi=10.7554%2feLife.49315&partnerID=40&md5=a3f7cab72b4447d33138df1e30ae0380; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11418
- Optogenetic Blockade of Dopamine Transients Prevents Learning Induced by Changes in Reward Features.
- Authors: Chang CY, Gardner M, Di Tillio MG, Schoenbaum G
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 20
- Midbrain dopamine neurons compute inferred and cached value prediction errors in a common framework.
- Authors: Sadacca BF, Jones JL, Schoenbaum G
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 7
- The timing of action determines reward prediction signals in identified midbrain dopamine neurons.
- Authors: Coddington LT, Dudman JT
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Midbrain dopamine neurons signal aversion in a reward-context-dependent manner.
- Authors: Matsumoto H, Tian J, Uchida N, Watabe-Uchida M
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 19
- Dopamine Neurons Respond to Errors in the Prediction of Sensory Features of Expected Rewards.
- Authors: Takahashi YK, Batchelor HM, Liu B, Khanna A, Morales M, Schoenbaum G
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 13