High-efficiency, high-flux in-line hemofiltration using a high blood flow extracorporeal circuit
JournalPerfusion (United Kingdom)
PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe ability of current renal replacement therapy modalities to achieve rapid solute removal is limited by membrane surface area and blood flow rate. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation offers high blood flow and hemodynamic support that may be harnessed to overcome limitations in traditional renal replacement therapy. Using an extracorporeal membrane oxygenation circuit, we describe a high blood flow, high-efficiency hemofiltration technique using in-line hemofilters (hemoconcentrators) and standard replacement fluid to enhance solute clearance. Using this approach and a total of 5 L of replacement volume per treatment, creatinine (Cr) clearances of 8.3 L/hour and 11.2 L/hour using one and two hemoconcentrators, respectively, were achieved. With use of a high blood flow rate of up to 5 L/min, this hemofiltration technique can potentially offer clearance of 30 times that of continuous renal replacement therapy and of 6 times that of hemodialysis which may expand the ability to remove substances traditionally not considered removable via existing extracorporeal therapies. Copyright The Author(s) 2019.
renal replacement therapy
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85073987324&doi=10.1177%2f0267659119871232&partnerID=40&md5=38caa5c51016b7db2f5e41504ae3a2ef; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11377
- Safety and Efficacy of Combined Extracorporeal CO2 Removal and Renal Replacement Therapy in Patients With Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and Acute Kidney Injury: The Pulmonary and Renal Support in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Study.
- Authors: Allardet-Servent J, Castanier M, Signouret T, Soundaravelou R, Lepidi A, Seghboyan JM
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Comparison of solute clearance in three modes of continuous renal replacement therapy.
- Authors: Parakininkas D, Greenbaum LA
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Factors affecting urea clearance during continuous hemodiafiltration in the canine model.
- Authors: Hiyama DT, Weiss RG, Ryckman FC
- Issue date: 1989 Aug
- Evaluation of Combined Extracorporeal Life Support and Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy on Hemodynamic Performance and Gaseous Microemboli Handling Ability in a Simulated Neonatal ECLS System.
- Authors: Shank KR, Profeta E, Wang S, O'Connor C, Kunselman AR, Woitas K, Myers JL, Ündar A
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Solutes removal characteristics at various effluent rates during different continuous renal replacement therapy modalities.
- Authors: Yu W, Zhuang F, Ma S, Zhu M, Ding F
- Issue date: 2019 Jul