Description of Antihypertensive Medication Use in a Pediatric Practice: Single and Multiple Antihypertensive Medication Therapy
JournalJournal of Clinical Hypertension
PublisherBlackwell Publishing Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrescription of multiple antihypertensive medications for the treatment of essential hypertension (HTN) has been well described in adults but not in children and adolescents. The authors describe the frequency with which children with essential HTN are prescribed a single vs two or more concomitantly administered antihypertensive medications. They also describe demographic features and comorbidities associated with the prescription of a single vs multiple antihypertensive medications. Multiple antihypertensive medication use in the management of pediatric HTN, as in the management of adult HTN, is not uncommon. In this single-center, retrospective study of 113 children with essential HTN, 28% of children were concomitantly prescribed two or more antihypertensive medications for poorly controlled blood pressure following prescription of a single medication. Demographic and comorbid conditions associated with the prescription of more than one antihypertensive medication include advanced hypertensive stage, race, and a family history of HTN.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-84994472206&doi=10.1111%2fjch.12879&partnerID=40&md5=8ca74f5d58234532a09acdd397637a40; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11360
- Relationship of blood pressure control to adherence with antihypertensive monotherapy in 13 managed care organizations.
- Authors: Bramley TJ, Gerbino PP, Nightengale BS, Frech-Tamas F
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Therapy of acute hypertension in hospitalized children and adolescents.
- Authors: Webb TN, Shatat IF, Miyashita Y
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Medical management of children with primary hypertension by pediatric subspecialists.
- Authors: Yoon EY, Davis MM, Rocchini A, Kershaw D, Freed GL
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Use of antihypertensive medications and diagnostic tests among privately insured adolescents and young adults with primary versus secondary hypertension.
- Authors: Yoon EY, Cohn L, Freed G, Rocchini A, Kershaw D, Ascione F, Clark S
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Antihypertensive prescribing patterns for adolescents with primary hypertension.
- Authors: Yoon EY, Cohn L, Rocchini A, Kershaw D, Freed G, Ascione F, Clark S
- Issue date: 2012 Jan