Perioperative management of rare coagulation factor deficiency states in cardiac surgery
JournalBritish Journal of Anaesthesia
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRare bleeding disorders (RBDs) include the hereditary deficiency of fibrinogen, factor (F)II, FV, FV + FVIII, FVII, FX, FXI or FXIII. RBDs do not confer a protective effect against atheromatous plaque formation, and thus the need for cardiovascular (CV) surgery in RBD patients is expected to increase with improved healthcare access (diagnosis and management) and longevity of the population. Clinical data regarding the management of RBDs in this setting are sparse, but the perioperative care team is obliged to gain a better understanding on available biological and pharmacological hemostatic agents. Perioperative management of RBDs in CV surgery is further complicated by heparin anticoagulation, haemodilution, and consumption of procoagulant and anticoagulant proteins associated with cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB). The aims of this review are to summarize pathophysiology of RBDs and laboratory monitoring pertinent to CV surgery, available factor replacement agents, and to provide the framework for perioperative coagulation management of RBD patients. Copyright 2017 The Author.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85029808843&doi=10.1093%2fbja%2faex198&partnerID=40&md5=65261ceb175cd1eefcdb6c012ac438a7; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11331
- Coagulation factor activity and clinical bleeding severity in rare bleeding disorders: results from the European Network of Rare Bleeding Disorders.
- Authors: Peyvandi F, Palla R, Menegatti M, Siboni SM, Halimeh S, Faeser B, Pergantou H, Platokouki H, Giangrande P, Peerlinck K, Celkan T, Ozdemir N, Bidlingmaier C, Ingerslev J, Giansily-Blaizot M, Schved JF, Gilmore R, Gadisseur A, Benedik-Dolničar M, Kitanovski L, Mikovic D, Musallam KM, Rosendaal FR, European Network of Rare Bleeding Disorders Group.
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Rare bleeding disorders: worldwide efforts for classification, diagnosis, and management.
- Authors: Peyvandi F, Menegatti M, Palla R
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Rare bleeding disorders - bleeding assessment tools, laboratory aspects and phenotype and therapy of FXI deficiency.
- Authors: James P, Salomon O, Mikovic D, Peyvandi F
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Rare bleeding disorders.
- Authors: Peyvandi F, Bolton-Maggs PH, Batorova A, De Moerloose P
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Perioperative Coagulation Management of a Hemophilia A Patient During Cardiac Surgery.
- Authors: Odonkor P, Srinivas A, Strauss E, Williams B, Mazzeffi M, Tanaka KA
- Issue date: 2017 Dec