Clinical presentation, diagnosis, and radiological findings of neoplastic meningitis
PublisherH. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Neoplastic meningitis is a complication of solid and hematological malignancies. It consists of the spread of malignant cells to the leptomeninges and subarachnoid space and their dissemination within the cerebrospinal fluid. Methods: A literature review was conducted to summarize the clinical presentation, differential diagnosis, laboratory values, and imaging findings of neoplastic meningitis. Results: Neoplastic meningitis is an event in the course of cancer with a variable clinical presentation and a wide differential diagnosis. In general, characteristic findings on gadolinium-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging and the presence of malignant cells in the cerebrospinal fluid remain the cornerstones of diagnosis. However, both modalities do not always confirm the diagnosis of neoplastic meningitis despite a typical clinical picture. Conclusions: Clinicians treating patients with cancer should be aware of the possibility of neoplastic meningitis, especially when multilevel neurological symptoms are present. Neoplastic meningitis can be an elusive diagnosis, so clinician awareness is important so that this malignant manifestation is recognized in a timely manner. Copyright 2017, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85011629756&doi=10.1177%2f107327481702400103&partnerID=40&md5=ecb48f1f6d00f34e926f60e78ac30f88; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11324
- Neoplastic meningitis from solid tumors: new diagnostic and therapeutic approaches.
- Authors: Lombardi G, Zustovich F, Farina P, Della Puppa A, Manara R, Cecchin D, Brunello A, Cappetta A, Zagonel V
- Issue date: 2011
- Patients with malignant meningitis presenting with neuropsychiatric manifestations.
- Authors: Weitzner MA, Olofsson SM, Forman AD
- Issue date: 1995 Nov 15
- Diagnosis of malignant meningitis.
- Authors: Forman AD
- Issue date: 1996 Mar
- Neoplastic meningitis: a retrospective review of clinical presentations, radiological and cerebrospinal fluid findings.
- Authors: Jearanaisilp S, Sangruji T, Danchaivijitr C, Danchaivijitr N
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- [Diagnosis and treatment of carcinoid meningitis: a challenge to the neurologist and oncologist].
- Authors: Rudnicka H, Niwińska A, Gruszfeld A, Pieńkowski T
- Issue date: 2003