Intracranial applications of mr imaging-guided focused ultrasound
JournalAmerican Journal of Neuroradiology
PublisherAmerican Society of Neuroradiology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInitially used in the treatment of prostate cancer and uterine fibroids, the role of focused ultrasound has expanded as transcranial acoustic wave distortion and other limitations have been overcome. Its utility relies on focal energy deposition via acoustic wave propagation. The duty cycle and intensity of focused ultrasound influence the rate of energy deposition and result in unique physiologic and biomechanical effects. Thermal ablation via high-intensity continuous exposure generates coagulative necrosis of tissues. High-intensity, pulsed application reduces temporally averaged energy deposition, resulting in mechanical effects, including reversible, localized BBB disruption, which enhances neurotherapeutic agent delivery. While the precise mechanisms remain unclear, low-intensity, pulsed exposures can influence neuronal activity with preservation of cytoarchitecture. Its noninvasive nature, high-resolution, radiationfree features allow focused ultrasound to compare favorably with other modalities. We discuss the physical characteristics of focused ultrasound devices, the biophysical mechanisms at the tissue level, and current and emerging applications.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85015765696&doi=10.3174%2fajnr.A4902&partnerID=40&md5=39ca02d55425e95536f794f89b910fc8; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11292
- MR-guided focused ultrasound: a potentially disruptive technology.
- Authors: Bradley WG Jr
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Ultrasound focusing using magnetic resonance acoustic radiation force imaging: application to ultrasound transcranial therapy.
- Authors: Hertzberg Y, Volovick A, Zur Y, Medan Y, Vitek S, Navon G
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- MR imaging-controlled focused ultrasound ablation: a noninvasive image-guided surgery.
- Authors: Jolesz FA, Hynynen K, McDannold N, Tempany C
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- High-intensity focused ultrasound surgery of the brain: part 1--A historical perspective with modern applications.
- Authors: Jagannathan J, Sanghvi NT, Crum LA, Yen CP, Medel R, Dumont AS, Sheehan JP, Steiner L, Jolesz F, Kassell NF
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- [Non-invasive thermoablation of symptomatic uterine fibroids with magnetic resonance-guided high-energy ultrasound].
- Authors: Eckey T, Neumann A, Bohlmann MK, Barkhausen J, Hunold P
- Issue date: 2011 Jul