Human MLH1 suppresses the insertion of telomeric sequences at intra-chromosomal sites in telomerase-expressing cells
JournalNucleic Acids Research
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAberrant formation of interstitial telomeric sequences (ITSs) promotes genome instabilities. However, it is unclear how aberrant ITS formation is suppressed in human cells. Here, we report that MLH1, a key protein involved in mismatch repair (MMR), suppresses telomeric sequence insertion (TSI) at intra-chromosomal regions. The frequency of TSI can be elevated by double-strand break (DSB) inducer and abolished by ATM/ATR inhibition. Suppression of TSI requires MLH1 recruitment to DSBs, indicating that MLH1's role in DSB response/repair is important for suppressing TSI. Moreover, TSI requires telomerase activity but is independent of the functional status of p53 and Rb. Lastly, we show that TSI is associated with chromosome instabilities including chromosome loss, micronuclei formation and chromosome breakage that are further elevated by replication stress. Our studies uncover a novel link between MLH1, telomerase, telomere and genome stability. Copyright The Author(s) 2016.
SponsorsNational Institutes of Health (NIH) [R01GM112864] (in part); Ladies Auxiliary VFW Cancer Research Funds (to W.C.). Funding for open access charge: NIH [R01GM112864].
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85026718189&doi=10.1093%2fnar%2fgkw1170&partnerID=40&md5=d144768efbe4a37d4c26d6c5a4e2f5e8; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11289
- The MLH1 ATPase domain is needed for suppressing aberrant formation of interstitial telomeric sequences.
- Authors: Jia P, Chai W
- Issue date: 2018 May
- The role of ATM in the deficiency in nonhomologous end-joining near telomeres in a human cancer cell line.
- Authors: Muraki K, Han L, Miller D, Murnane JP
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Telomere dysfunction and chromosome instability.
- Authors: Murnane JP
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 1
- ATM and ATR Signaling Regulate the Recruitment of Human Telomerase to Telomeres.
- Authors: Tong AS, Stern JL, Sfeir A, Kartawinata M, de Lange T, Zhu XD, Bryan TM
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 24
- ATM mediates cytotoxicity of a mutant telomerase RNA in human cancer cells.
- Authors: Stohr BA, Blackburn EH
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 1