Deep sequencing of the TCR‐β repertoire of human forkhead box protein 3 (FoxP3)+and foxp3-T cells suggests that they are completely distinct and non-overlapping
JournalClinical and Experimental Immunology
PublisherBlackwell Publishing Ltd
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMaintenance of peripheral tolerance requires a balance between autoreactive conventional T cells (Tconv) and thymically derived forkhead box protein 3 (FoxP3)1 regulatory T cells (tTregs). Considerable controversy exists regarding the similarities/differences in T cell receptor (TCR) repertoires expressed by Tconvand tTregs. We generated highly purified populations of human adult and cord blood Tconvand tTregsbased on the differential expression of CD25 and CD127. The purity of the sorted populations was validated by intracellular staining for FoxP3 and Helios. We also purified an overlap group of CD4 T cells from adult donors to ensure that considerable numbers of shared clonotypes could be detected when present. We used deep sequencing of entire TCR-b CDR3 sequences to analyse the TCR repertoire of Tconvand tTregs. Our studies suggest that both neonatal and adult human Tconvand tTregcells are, in fact, entirely distinct CD4 T cell lineages. Copyright 2016 British Society for Immunology, Clinical and Experimental Immunology.
SponsorsThe NIAID/LI Sorting Facility is acknowledged. This work was supported by funds from the Intramural Research program of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. A. G. is a VA CDA awardee at the Baltimore VA/ VAMHCS and acknowledges funding from the VA Career Development Award (1K2 CX000649).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85008462050&doi=10.1111%2fcei.12904&partnerID=40&md5=70b0dd92fe0031680ceebdc98fcb0e4a; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11278
- TCR Repertoires of Thymic Conventional and Regulatory T Cells: Identification and Characterization of Both Unique and Shared TCR Sequences.
- Authors: Ko A, Watanabe M, Nguyen T, Shi A, Achour A, Zhang B, Sun X, Wang Q, Zhuang Y, Weng NP, Hodes RJ
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 15
- Thymus transplantation restores the repertoires of forkhead box protein 3 (FoxP3)+ and FoxP3- T cells in complete DiGeorge anomaly.
- Authors: Chinn IK, Milner JD, Scheinberg P, Douek DC, Markert ML
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Cutting edge: size and diversity of CD4+CD25high Foxp3+ regulatory T cell repertoire in humans: evidence for similarities and partial overlapping with CD4+CD25- T cells.
- Authors: Fazilleau N, Bachelez H, Gougeon ML, Viguier M
- Issue date: 2007 Sep 15
- Helios<sup>+</sup> and Helios<sup>-</sup> Treg subpopulations are phenotypically and functionally distinct and express dissimilar TCR repertoires.
- Authors: Thornton AM, Lu J, Korty PE, Kim YC, Martens C, Sun PD, Shevach EM
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- T cell receptor CDR3 sequence but not recognition characteristics distinguish autoreactive effector and Foxp3(+) regulatory T cells.
- Authors: Liu X, Nguyen P, Liu W, Cheng C, Steeves M, Obenauer JC, Ma J, Geiger TL
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 18