Identification of conserved proteins from diverse shell matrix proteome in Crassostrea gigas: Characterization of genetic bases regulating shell formation
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe calcifying shell is an excellent model for studying biomineralization and evolution. However, the molecular mechanisms of shell formation are only beginning to be elucidated in Mollusca. It is known that shell matrix proteins (SMPs) play important roles in shell formation. With increasing data of shell matrix proteomes from various species, we carried out a BLASTp bioinformatics analysis using the shell matrix proteome from Crassostrea gigas against 443 SMPs from nine other species. The highly conserved tyrosinase and chitin related proteins were identified in bivalve. In addition, the relatively conserved proteins containing domains of carbonic anhydrase, Sushi, Von Willebrand factor type A, and chitin binding, were identified from all the ten species. Moreover, 25 genes encoding SMPs were annotated and characterized that are involved in CaCO 3 crystallization and represent chitin related or ECM related proteins. Together, data from these analyses provide new knowledge underlying the molecular mechanism of shell formation in C.gigas, supporting a refined shell formation model including chitin and ECM-related proteins. Copyright 2017 The Author(s).
SponsorsNational Natural Science Foundation of China (31372524)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85017012729&doi=10.1038%2fsrep45754&partnerID=40&md5=cba1ef655e54b5268ee586fc1d574ebe; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11273
- Dual Gene Repertoires for Larval and Adult Shells Reveal Molecules Essential for Molluscan Shell Formation.
- Authors: Zhao R, Takeuchi T, Luo YJ, Ishikawa A, Kobayashi T, Koyanagi R, Villar-Briones A, Yamada L, Sawada H, Iwanaga S, Nagai K, Satoh N, Endo K
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 1
- Insights from the Shell Proteome: Biomineralization to Adaptation.
- Authors: Arivalagan J, Yarra T, Marie B, Sleight VA, Duvernois-Berthet E, Clark MS, Marie A, Berland S
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Characterization of the mantle transcriptome in bivalves: Pecten maximus, Mytilus edulis and Crassostrea gigas.
- Authors: Yarra T, Gharbi K, Blaxter M, Peck LS, Clark MS
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Comparative Transcriptome Analysis of the Pacific Oyster Crassostrea gigas Characterized by Shell Colors: Identification of Genetic Bases Potentially Involved in Pigmentation.
- Authors: Feng D, Li Q, Yu H, Zhao X, Kong L
- Issue date: 2015
- Shell matrix proteins of the clam, Mya truncata: Roles beyond shell formation through proteomic study.
- Authors: Arivalagan J, Marie B, Sleight VA, Clark MS, Berland S, Marie A
- Issue date: 2016 Jun