Restraint use among selected hospitalized elderly patients in Cairo, Egypt
JournalBMC Research Notes
PublisherBioMed Central Ltd.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: This study's primary objective was to investigate the prevalence of physical and chemical restraint use in selected elderly hospitalized patients. Results: This study was conducted in April 2014 in four major acute care hospitals. Trained data collectors assessed the use of physical and chemical restraint among all admitted elderly patients. There were 287 elderly patients (median age 64 years, 46% women). 32 patients were restrained. The overall prevalence of restraints was 11.1%, with physical restraint use alone at 3.2% and chemical restraints use alone at 7.3%. Restraint use varied by hospital type, with the highest at the private hospital (22.9%) and the lowest at the two university hospitals (< 6%). In conclusion the prevalence of physical and chemical restraint use among admitted elderly patients in Egypt is comparable to that seen in developed countries. However, the use appears to vary widely by hospital type. The use of restraints in the elderly remains an important question considering the increasing number of elderly. Copyright 2017 The Author(s).
SponsorsThe National Institutes of Health, Fogarty International Center through Grant Number, funded this work: 2D43TW007296.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85035777431&doi=10.1186%2fs13104-017-2978-x&partnerID=40&md5=39e8ffbe8065c9d259924fd7dbf450df; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11271
- Restraint use in the elderly emergency department patient.
- Authors: Swickhamer C, Colvig C, Chan SB
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Use of physical restraints in acute hospitals in Germany: a multi-centre cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Krüger C, Mayer H, Haastert B, Meyer G
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Physical restraints practice in adult intensive care units in Egypt.
- Authors: Kandeel NA, Attia AK
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- A controlled quality improvement trial to reduce the use of physical restraints in older hospitalized adults.
- Authors: Enns E, Rhemtulla R, Ewa V, Fruetel K, Holroyd-Leduc JM
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Use of physical restraint in hospital patients: A descriptive study in a tertiary hospital in South Africa.
- Authors: Kalula SZ, Petros SG
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 10