Vaginal Candida spp. genomes from women with vulvovaginal candidiasis
JournalPathogens and Disease
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCandida albicans is the predominant cause of vulvovaginal candidiasis (VVC). Little is known regarding the genetic diversity of Candida spp. in the vagina or the microvariations in strains over time that may contribute to the development of VVC. This study reports the draft genome sequences of four C. albicans and one C. glabrata strains isolated from women with VVC. An SNP-based whole-genome phylogeny indicates that these isolates are closely related; however, phylogenetic distances between them suggest that there may be genetic adaptations driven by unique host environments. These sequences will facilitate further comparative analyses and ultimately improve our understanding of genetic variation in isolates of Candida spp. that are associated with VVC.
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication was supported by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number F31AI116023 and UH2AI083264.
Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85028626279&doi=10.1093%2ffemspd%2fftx061&partnerID=40&md5=15e661cc960b2b826773391c93c22254; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11266
- Molecular typing and in vitro fluconazole susceptibility of Candida species isolated from diabetic and nondiabetic women with vulvovaginal candidiasis in India.
- Authors: Lattif AA, Mukhopadhyay G, Banerjee U, Goswami R, Prasad R
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Pattern of Candida species isolated from patients with diabetes mellitus and vulvovaginal candidiasis and their response to single dose oral fluconazole therapy.
- Authors: Goswami D, Goswami R, Banerjee U, Dadhwal V, Miglani S, Lattif AA, Kochupillai N
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Prevalence of vulvovaginal candidiasis among pregnant women in the Ho municipality, Ghana: species identification and antifungal susceptibility of Candida isolates.
- Authors: Waikhom SD, Afeke I, Kwawu GS, Mbroh HK, Osei GY, Louis B, Deku JG, Kasu ES, Mensah P, Agede CY, Dodoo C, Asiamah EA, Tampuori J, Korbuvi J, Opintan JA
- Issue date: 2020 May 6
- Microsatellite analysis of Candida isolates from recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis.
- Authors: Amouri I, Sellami H, Abbes S, Hadrich I, Mahfoudh N, Makni H, Ayadi A
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Epidemiology and antifungal susceptibility patterns of Candida isolates from Greek women with vulvovaginal candidiasis.
- Authors: Maraki S, Mavromanolaki VE, Stafylaki D, Nioti E, Hamilos G, Kasimati A
- Issue date: 2019 Aug