Overview and Development of the Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance Determination of Cause of Death (DeCoDe) Process and DeCoDe Diagnosis Standards
JournalClinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMortality surveillance and cause of death data are instrumental in improving health, identifying diseases and conditions that cause a high burden of preventable deaths, and allocating resources to prevent these deaths. The Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance (CHAMPS) network uses a standardized process to define, assign, and code causes of stillbirth and child death (<5 years of age) across the CHAMPS network. A Determination of Cause of Death (DeCoDe) panel composed of experts from a local CHAMPS site analyzes all available individual information, including laboratory, histopathology, abstracted clinical records, and verbal autopsy findings for each case and, if applicable, also for the mother. Using this information, the site panel ascertains the underlying cause (event that precipitated the fatal sequence of events) and other antecedent, immediate, and maternal causes of death in accordance with the International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision and the World Health Organization death certificate. Development and use of the CHAMPS diagnosis standards-a framework of required evidence to support cause of death determination-assures a homogenized procedure leading to a more consistent interpretation of complex data across the CHAMPS network. This and other standardizations ensures future comparability with other sources of mortality data produced externally to this project. Early lessons learned from implementation of DeCoDe in 5 CHAMPS sites in sub-Saharan Africa and Bangladesh have been incorporated into the DeCoDe process, and the implementation of DeCoDe has the potential to spur health systems improvements and local public health action. Copyright The Author(s) 2019.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85073098338&doi=10.1093%2fcid%2fciz572&partnerID=40&md5=66741a2e5fe35c23d49149663685c80f; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11176
- Initial findings from a novel population-based child mortality surveillance approach: a descriptive study.
- Authors: Taylor AW, Blau DM, Bassat Q, Onyango D, Kotloff KL, Arifeen SE, Mandomando I, Chawana R, Baillie VL, Akelo V, Tapia MD, Salzberg NT, Keita AM, Morris T, Nair S, Assefa N, Seale AC, Scott JAG, Kaiser R, Jambai A, Barr BAT, Gurley ES, Ordi J, Zaki SR, Sow SO, Islam F, Rahman A, Dowell SF, Koplan JP, Raghunathan PL, Madhi SA, Breiman RF, CHAMPS Consortium
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Postmortem investigations and identification of multiple causes of child deaths: An analysis of findings from the Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance (CHAMPS) network.
- Authors: Breiman RF, Blau DM, Mutevedzi P, Akelo V, Mandomando I, Ogbuanu IU, Sow SO, Madrid L, El Arifeen S, Garel M, Thwala NB, Onyango D, Sitoe A, Bassey IA, Keita AM, Alemu A, Alam M, Mahtab S, Gethi D, Varo R, Ojulong J, Samura S, Mehta A, Ibrahim AM, Rahman A, Vitorino P, Baillie VL, Agaya J, Tapia MD, Assefa N, Chowdhury AI, Scott JAG, Gurley ES, Kotloff KL, Jambai A, Bassat Q, Tippett-Barr BA, Madhi SA, Whitney CG, CHAMPS Consortium
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- Insights on the differentiation of stillbirths and early neonatal deaths: A study from the Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance (CHAMPS) network.
- Authors: Quincer E, Philipsborn R, Morof D, Salzberg NT, Vitorino P, Ajanovic S, Onyango D, Ogbuanu I, Assefa N, Sow SO, Mutevedzi P, El Arifeen S, Tippet Barr BA, Scott JAG, Mandomando I, Kotloff KL, Jambai A, Akelo V, Cain CJ, Chowdhury AI, Gure T, Igunza KA, Islam F, Keita AM, Madrid L, Mahtab S, Mehta A, Mitei PK, Ntuli C, Ojulong J, Rahman A, Samura S, Sidibe D, Thwala BN, Varo R, Madhi SA, Bassat Q, Gurley ES, Blau DM, Whitney CG
- Issue date: 2022
- Mortality Surveillance Methods to Identify and Characterize Deaths in Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance Network Sites.
- Authors: Salzberg NT, Sivalogan K, Bassat Q, Taylor AW, Adedini S, El Arifeen S, Assefa N, Blau DM, Chawana R, Cain CJ, Cain KP, Caneer JP, Garel M, Gurley ES, Kaiser R, Kotloff KL, Mandomando I, Morris T, Nyamthimba Onyango P, Sazzad HMS, Scott JAG, Seale AC, Sitoe A, Sow SO, Tapia MD, Whitney EA, Worrell MC, Zielinski-Gutierrez E, Madhi SA, Raghunathan PL, Koplan JP, Breiman RF, Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance (CHAMPS) Methods Consortium
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 9
- Health and Demographic Surveillance Systems Within the Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance Network.
- Authors: Cunningham SA, Shaikh NI, Nhacolo A, Raghunathan PL, Kotloff K, Naser AM, Mengesha MM, Adedini SA, Misore T, Onuwchekwa UU, Worrell MC, El Arifeen S, Assefa N, Chowdhury AI, Kaiser R, Madhi SA, Mehta A, Obor D, Sacoor C, Sow SO, Tapia MD, Wilkinson AL, Breiman RF
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 9