The Potential of Clinical Phenotyping of Heart�Failure With Imaging Biomarkers for�Guiding�Therapies: A Focused Update
JournalJACC: Cardiovascular Imaging
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe need for noninvasive assessment of cardiac volumes and ejection fraction (EF) ushered in the use of cardiac imaging techniques in heart failure (HF) trials that investigated the roles of pharmacological and device-based therapies. However, in contrast to HF with reduced EF (HFrEF), modern HF pharmacotherapy has not improved outcomes in HF with preserved EF (HFpEF), largely attributed to patient heterogeneity and incomplete understanding of pathophysiological insights underlying the clinical presentations of HFpEF. Modern cardiac imaging methods offer insights into many sets of changes in cardiac tissue structure and function that can precisely link cause with cardiac remodeling at organ and tissue levels to clinical presentations in HF. This has inspired investigators to seek a more comprehensive understanding of HF presentations using imaging techniques. This article summarizes the available evidence regarding the role of cardiac imaging in HF. Furthermore, we discuss the value of cardiac imaging techniques in identifying HF patient subtypes who share similar causes and mechanistic pathways that can be targeted using specific HF therapies.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85028988393&doi=10.1016%2fj.jcmg.2017.07.001&partnerID=40&md5=fd655bed935a12484492726a7487d4d6; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11152
- Heart Failure and Midrange Ejection Fraction: Implications of Recovered Ejection Fraction for Exercise Tolerance and Outcomes.
- Authors: Nadruz W Jr, West E, Santos M, Skali H, Groarke JD, Forman DE, Shah AM
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Association of arginine vasopressin with low atrial natriuretic peptide levels, left ventricular remodelling, and outcomes in adults with and without heart failure.
- Authors: Chirinos JA, Sardana M, Oldland G, Ansari B, Lee J, Hussain A, Mustafa A, Akers SR, Wei W, Lakatta EG, Fedorova OV
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Circulating biomarkers of distinct pathophysiological pathways in heart failure with preserved vs. reduced left ventricular ejection fraction.
- Authors: Sanders-van Wijk S, van Empel V, Davarzani N, Maeder MT, Handschin R, Pfisterer ME, Brunner-La Rocca HP, TIME-CHF investigators.
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Noninvasive Cardiac Imaging and the Prediction of Heart Failure Progression in Preclinical Stage A/B Subjects.
- Authors: Gong FF, Campbell DJ, Prior DL
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Altered spatial distribution of the diastolic left ventricular pressure difference in heart failure.
- Authors: Iwano H, Kamimura D, Fox E, Hall M, Vlachos P, Little WC
- Issue date: 2015 May