Comparison of multi-institutional Varian ProBeam pencil beam scanning proton beam commissioning data
JournalJournal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics
PublisherAAPM - American Association of Physicists in Medicine
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: Commissioning beam data for proton spot scanning beams are compared for the first two Varian ProBeam sites in the United States, at the Maryland Proton Treatment Center (MPTC) and Scripps Proton Therapy Center (SPTC). In addition, the extent to which beams can be matched between gantry rooms at MPTC is investigated. Method: Beam data for the two sites were acquired with independent dosimetry systems and compared. Integrated depth dose curves (IDDs) were acquired with Bragg peak ion chambers in a 3D water tank for pencil beams at both sites. Spot profiles were acquired at different distances from the isocenter at a gantry angle of 0° as well as a function of gantry angles. Absolute dose calibration was compared between SPTC and the gantries at MPTC. Dosimetric verification of test plans, output as a function of gantry angle, monitor unit (MU) linearity, end effects, dose rate dependence, and plan reproducibility were compared for different gantries at MPTC. Results: The IDDs for the two sites were similar, except in the plateau region, where the SPTC data were on average 4.5% higher for lower energies. This increase in the plateau region decreased as energy increased, with no marked difference for energies higher than 180 MeV. Range in water coincided for all energies within 0.5 mm. The sigmas of the spot profiles in air were within 10% agreement at isocenter. This difference increased as detector distance from the isocenter increased. Absolute doses for the gantries measured at both sites were within 1% agreement. Test plans, output as function of gantry angle, MU linearity, end effects, dose rate dependence, and plan reproducibility were all within tolerances given by TG142. Conclusion: Beam data for the two sites and between different gantry rooms were well matched.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85018886701&doi=10.1002%2facm2.12078&partnerID=40&md5=d44055c60e6d186a656e7d3ea70e3dad; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11135
- Impacts of gantry angle dependent scanning beam properties on proton PBS treatment.
- Authors: Lin Y, Clasie B, Lu HM, Flanz J, Shen T, Jee KW
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 21
- Dosimetric commissioning and quality assurance of scanned ion beams at the Italian National Center for Oncological Hadrontherapy.
- Authors: Mirandola A, Molinelli S, Vilches Freixas G, Mairani A, Gallio E, Panizza D, Russo S, Ciocca M, Donetti M, Magro G, Giordanengo S, Orecchia R
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Beam commissioning of the first compact proton therapy system with spot scanning and dynamic field collimation.
- Authors: Vilches-Freixas G, Unipan M, Rinaldi I, Martens J, Roijen E, Almeida IP, Decabooter E, Bosmans G
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Commissioning dose computation models for spot scanning proton beams in water for a commercially available treatment planning system.
- Authors: Zhu XR, Poenisch F, Lii M, Sawakuchi GO, Titt U, Bues M, Song X, Zhang X, Li Y, Ciangaru G, Li H, Taylor MB, Suzuki K, Mohan R, Gillin MT, Sahoo N
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Commissioning and beam characterization of the first gantry-mounted accelerator pencil beam scanning proton system.
- Authors: Kang M, Pang D
- Issue date: 2020 Aug