Climate and environmental triggers of acute myocardial infarction
JournalEuropean Heart Journal
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOver the past few decades, a growing body of epidemiological and clinical evidence has led to heightened concerns about the potential shortand long-term deleterious effects of the environment on cardiovascular health, including the risk for acute myocardial infarction (AMI). This review highlights the increased risk of AMI caused by exposure to air pollution and cold temperatures. These factors should be considered modifiable risk factors in the prevention of cardiovascular disease. The current body of knowledge about the biological mechanisms linking environmental changes to atherothrombotic events and the impact of climate change on cardiovascular health are discussed. Finally, recommendations for prevention and public policy are presented. Copyright The Author 2016.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85018333865&doi=10.1093%2feurheartj%2fehw151&partnerID=40&md5=22216d503503d16ac4a7a2f1b216f79c; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11118
- Ecology of the cardiovascular system: A focus on air-related environmental factors.
- Authors: Argacha JF, Bourdrel T, van de Borne P
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Climate Changes and Human Health: A Review of the Effect of Environmental Stressors on Cardiovascular Diseases Across Epidemiology and Biological Mechanisms.
- Authors: Giorgini P, Di Giosia P, Petrarca M, Lattanzio F, Stamerra CA, Ferri C
- Issue date: 2017
- Air pollution as noxious environmental factor in the development of cardiovascular disease.
- Authors: Hassing HC, Twickler TB, Kastelein JJ, Cramer MJ, Cassee FR
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Short-term exposure to environmental parameters and onset of ST elevation myocardial infarction. The CARDIO-ARSIF registry.
- Authors: Caussin C, Escolano S, Mustafic H, Bataille S, Tafflet M, Chatignoux E, Lambert Y, Benamer H, Garot P, Jabre P, Delorme L, Varenne O, Teiger E, Livarek B, Empana JP, Spaulding C, Jouven X, CARDIO-ARSIF Registry Investigators.
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 15
- Associations between short-term exposure to particulate matter and ultrafine particles and myocardial infarction in Augsburg, Germany.
- Authors: Wolf K, Schneider A, Breitner S, Meisinger C, Heier M, Cyrys J, Kuch B, von Scheidt W, Peters A, KORA Study Group.
- Issue date: 2015 Aug