Suppression of Ventral Hippocampal Output Impairs Integrated Orbitofrontal Encoding of Task Structure
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe hippocampus and orbitofrontal cortex (OFC) both make important contributions to decision making and other cognitive processes. However, despite anatomical links between the two, few studies have tested the importance of hippocampal–OFC interactions. Here, we recorded OFC neurons in rats performing a decision making task while suppressing activity in a key hippocampal output region, the ventral subiculum. OFC neurons encoded information about expected outcomes and rats’ responses. With hippocampal output suppressed, rats were slower to adapt to changes in reward contingency, and OFC encoding of response information was strongly attenuated. In addition, ventral subiculum inactivation prevented OFC neurons from integrating information about features of outcomes to form holistic representations of the outcomes available in specific trial blocks. These data suggest that the hippocampus contributes to OFC encoding of both concrete, low-level features of expected outcomes, and abstract, inferred properties of the structure of the world, such as task state.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85027507242&doi=10.1016%2fj.neuron.2017.08.003&partnerID=40&md5=c8582740162f86e8e7f426317d17f946; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11100
- Orbitofrontal State Representations Are Related to Choice Adaptations and Reward Predictions.
- Authors: Stalnaker TA, Raheja N, Schoenbaum G
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 3
- Orbitofrontal Cortex Signals Expected Outcomes with Predictive Codes When Stable Contingencies Promote the Integration of Reward History.
- Authors: Riceberg JS, Shapiro ML
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 22
- Neurons in rat orbitofrontal cortex and medial prefrontal cortex exhibit distinct responses in reward and strategy-update in a risk-based decision-making task.
- Authors: Hong DD, Huang WQ, Ji AA, Yang SS, Xu H, Sun KY, Cao A, Gao WJ, Zhou N, Yu P
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- A functional difference in information processing between orbitofrontal cortex and ventral striatum during decision-making behaviour.
- Authors: Stott JJ, Redish AD
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 5
- Dissociable contributions of the ventral hippocampus and orbitofrontal cortex to decision-making with a delayed or uncertain outcome.
- Authors: Abela AR, Chudasama Y
- Issue date: 2013 Feb