JournalJournal of Diabetes Science and Technology
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractContinuous glucose monitoring (CGM) is commonly used in the outpatient setting to improve diabetes management. CGM can provide real-time glucose trends, detecting hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia before the onset of clinical symptoms. In 2011, at the time the Endocrine Society CGM guidelines were published, the society did not recommend inpatient CGM as its efficacy and safety were unknown. While many studies have subsequently evaluated inpatient CGM accuracy and reliability, glycemic outcome studies have not been widely published. In the non-ICU setting, investigational CGM studies have commonly blinded providers and patients to glucose data. Retrospective review of the glucose data reflects increased hypoglycemia detection with CGM. In the ICU setting, data are inconsistent whether CGM can improve glycemic outcomes. Studies have not focused on hospitalized patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus, the population most likely to benefit from inpatient CGM. This article reviews inpatient CGM glycemic outcomes in the non-ICU and ICU setting.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85028636580&doi=10.1177%2f1932296817698499&partnerID=40&md5=81764026ca755302e61b12eb94e070dc; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11073
- Consensus Statement on Inpatient Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
- Authors: Wallia A, Umpierrez GE, Rushakoff RJ, Klonoff DC, Rubin DJ, Hill Golden S, Cook CB, Thompson B, DTS Continuous Glucose Monitoring in the Hospital Panel.
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Advancing the Use of CGM Devices in a Non-ICU Setting.
- Authors: Wang M, Singh LG, Spanakis EK
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Insulin Pump and Continuous Glucose Monitor Initiation in Hospitalized Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Authors: Levitt DL, Spanakis EK, Ryan KA, Silver KD
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Clinical Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Authors: Slattery D, Choudhary P
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Continuous glucose monitoring in insulin-treated patients in non-ICU settings.
- Authors: Gomez AM, Umpierrez GE
- Issue date: 2014 Sep