Stem cell transplantation for peripheral nerve regeneration: Current options and opportunities
JournalInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPeripheral nerve regeneration is a complicated process highlighted by Wallerian degeneration, axonal sprouting, and remyelination. Schwann cells play an integral role in multiple facets of nerve regeneration but obtaining Schwann cells for cell-based therapy is limited by the invasive nature of harvesting and donor site morbidity. Stem cell transplantation for peripheral nerve regeneration offers an alternative cell-based therapy with several regenerative benefits. Stem cells have the potential to differentiate into Schwann-like cells that recruit macrophages for removal of cellular debris. They also can secrete neurotrophic factors to promote axonal growth, and remyelination. Currently, various types of stem cell sources are being investigated for their application to peripheral nerve regeneration. This review highlights studies involving the stem cell types, the mechanisms of their action, methods of delivery to the injury site, and relevant pre-clinical or clinical data. The purpose of this article is to review the current point of view on the application of stem cell based strategy for peripheral nerve regeneration. Copyright 2017 by the authors; licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85009291525&doi=10.3390%2fijms18010094&partnerID=40&md5=ba105a0106fa3f12563edbcece25f3a2; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11066
- Advances and Future Applications of Augmented Peripheral Nerve Regeneration.
- Authors: Jones S, Eisenberg HM, Jia X
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 7
- Role of stem cells in the regeneration and repair of peripheral nerves.
- Authors: Ren Z, Wang Y, Peng J, Zhao Q, Lu S
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 26
- Skin-derived precursors as a source of progenitors for cutaneous nerve regeneration.
- Authors: Chen Z, Pradhan S, Liu C, Le LQ
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Practical considerations concerning the use of stem cells for peripheral nerve repair.
- Authors: Walsh S, Midha R
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- The Use and Delivery of Stem Cells in Nerve Regeneration: Preclinical Evidence and Regulatory Considerations.
- Authors: Armaiz Flores A, Wang H
- Issue date: 2018 Apr