Plasmodium vivax chloroquine resistance links to pvcrt transcription in a genetic cross
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMainstay treatment for Plasmodium vivax malaria has long relied on chloroquine (CQ) against blood-stage parasites plus primaquine against dormant liver-stage forms (hypnozoites), however drug resistance confronts this regimen and threatens malaria control programs. Understanding the basis of P. vivax chloroquine resistance (CQR) will inform drug discovery and malaria control. Here we investigate the genetics of P. vivax CQR by a cross of parasites differing in drug response. Gametocytogenesis, mosquito infection, and progeny production are performed with mixed parasite populations in nonhuman primates, as methods for P. vivax cloning and in vitro cultivation remain unavailable. Linkage mapping of progeny surviving >15 mg/kg CQ identifies a 76 kb region in chromosome 1 including pvcrt, an ortholog of the Plasmodium falciparum CQR transporter gene. Transcriptional analysis supports upregulated pvcrt expression as a mechanism of CQR.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85072540054&doi=10.1038%2fs41467-019-12256-9&partnerID=40&md5=5f8689e94669350e162d4e0def357f30; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11038
- Analysis of Plasmodium vivax Chloroquine Resistance Transporter Mutant Isoforms.
- Authors: Hassett MR, Riegel BE, Callaghan PS, Roepe PD
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 17
- Drug resistance genes: pvcrt-o and pvmdr-1 polymorphism in patients from malaria endemic South Western Coastal Region of India.
- Authors: Joy S, Mukhi B, Ghosh SK, Achur RN, Gowda DC, Surolia N
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 19
- Expression of Plasmodium vivax crt-o Is Related to Parasite Stage but Not Ex Vivo Chloroquine Susceptibility.
- Authors: Pava Z, Handayuni I, Wirjanata G, To S, Trianty L, Noviyanti R, Poespoprodjo JR, Auburn S, Price RN, Marfurt J
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Plasmodium vivax resistance to chloroquine in Madagascar: clinical efficacy and polymorphisms in pvmdr1 and pvcrt-o genes.
- Authors: Barnadas C, Ratsimbasoa A, Tichit M, Bouchier C, Jahevitra M, Picot S, Ménard D
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Expression and function of pvcrt-o, a Plasmodium vivax ortholog of pfcrt, in Plasmodium falciparum and Dictyostelium discoideum.
- Authors: Sá JM, Yamamoto MM, Fernandez-Becerra C, de Azevedo MF, Papakrivos J, Naudé B, Wellems TE, Del Portillo HA
- Issue date: 2006 Dec