Immunomorphological Pattern of Molecular Chaperones in Normal and Pathological Thyroid Tissues and Circulating Exosomes: Potential Use in Clinics
JournalInternational journal of molecular sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe thyroid is a major component of the endocrine system and its pathology can cause serious diseases, e.g., papillary carcinoma (PC). However, the carcinogenic mechanisms are poorly understood and clinical useful biomarkers are scarce. Therefore, we determined if there are quantitative patterns of molecular chaperones in the tumor tissue and circulating exosomes that may be useful in diagnosis and provide clues on their participation in carcinogenesis. Hsp27, Hsp60, Hsp70, and Hsp90 were quantified by immunohistochemistry in PC, benign goiter (BG), and normal peritumoral tissue (PT). The same chaperones were assessed in plasma exosomes from PC and BG patients before and after ablative surgery, using Western blotting. Hsp27, Hsp60, and Hsp90 were increased in PC in comparison with PT and BG but no differences were found for Hsp70. Similarly, exosomal levels of Hsp27, Hsp60, and Hsp90 were higher in PC than in BG, and those in PC were higher before ablative surgery than after it. Hsp27, Hsp60, and Hsp90 show distinctive quantitative patterns in thyroid tissue and circulating exosomes in PC as compared with BG, suggesting some implication in the carcinogenesis of these chaperones and indicating their potential as biomarkers for clinical applications.
SponsorsPart of this work was funded by the Italian National Operational Programme (PON) «Imprese e Competitività» 2014-2020 FESR (Project code: F/090012/01-02/X36).
heat shock proteins (Hsp)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85072145205&doi=10.3390%2fijms20184496&partnerID=40&md5=4686ce8389c4e29c544a144b539b5f47; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11009
- Heat shock proteins HSP27, HSP60, HSP70, and HSP90: expression in bladder carcinoma.
- Authors: Lebret T, Watson RW, Molinié V, O'Neill A, Gabriel C, Fitzpatrick JM, Botto H
- Issue date: 2003 Sep 1
- Molecular Chaperones and Thyroid Cancer.
- Authors: Paladino L, Vitale AM, Santonocito R, Pitruzzella A, Cipolla C, Graceffa G, Bucchieri F, Conway de Macario E, Macario AJL, Rappa F
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 18
- [Expression and significance of heat shock proteins in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma].
- Authors: Chen JH, Chen LM, Xu LY, Wu MY, Shen ZY
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Chaperone patterns in vernal keratoconjunctivitis are distinctive of cell and Hsp type and are modified by inflammatory stimuli.
- Authors: Leonardi A, Tarricone E, Corrao S, Alaibac M, Corso AJ, Zavan B, Venier P, Conway de Macario E, Macario AJ, Di Stefano A, Cappello F, Brun P
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Heat shock protein 60 levels in tissue and circulating exosomes in human large bowel cancer before and after ablative surgery.
- Authors: Campanella C, Rappa F, Sciumè C, Marino Gammazza A, Barone R, Bucchieri F, David S, Curcurù G, Caruso Bavisotto C, Pitruzzella A, Geraci G, Modica G, Farina F, Zummo G, Fais S, Conway de Macario E, Macario AJ, Cappello F
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 15