Do Halogen-Hydrogen Bond Donor Interactions Dominate the Favorable Contribution of Halogens to Ligand-Protein Binding?
JournalJournal of Physical Chemistry B
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHalogens are present in a significant number of drugs, contributing favorably to ligand-protein binding. Currently, the contribution of halogens, most notably chlorine and bromine, is largely attributed to halogen bonds involving favorable interactions with hydrogen bond acceptors. However, we show that halogens acting as hydrogen bond acceptors potentially make a more favorable contribution to ligand binding than halogen bonds based on quantum mechanical calculations. In addition, bioinformatics analysis of ligand-protein crystal structures shows the presence of significant numbers of such interactions. It is shown that interactions between halogens and hydrogen bond donors (HBDs) are dominated by perpendicular C-X?HBD orientations. Notably, the orientation dependence of the halogen-HBD (X-HBD) interactions is minimal over greater than 100° with favorable interaction energies ranging from -2 to -14 kcal/mol. This contrasts halogen bonds in that X-HBD interactions are substantially more favorable, being comparable to canonical hydrogen bonds, with a smaller orientation dependence, such that they make significant, favorable contributions to ligand-protein binding and, therefore, should be actively considered during rational ligand design.
SponsorsThis work was supported by National Institutes of Health grants GM070855 and GM072558. The University of Maryland Computer-Aided Drug Design Center and XSEDE are acknowledged for their generous allocations of computer time.
Protein Structure, Tertiary
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85025579409&doi=10.1021%2facs.jpcb.7b04198&partnerID=40&md5=41eef0d00310e4e12ff73854bf227c61; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10971
- Halogens in Protein-Ligand Binding Mechanism: A Structural Perspective.
- Authors: Shinada NK, de Brevern AG, Schmidtke P
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 14
- Rediscovery of halogen bonds in protein-ligand complexes.
- Authors: Zhou P, Tian F, Zou J, Shang Z
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Comparative study of halogen- and hydrogen-bond interactions between benzene derivatives and dimethyl sulfoxide.
- Authors: Zheng YZ, Deng G, Zhou Y, Sun HY, Yu ZW
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 24
- C-X...H contacts in biomolecular systems: how they contribute to protein-ligand binding affinity.
- Authors: Lu Y, Wang Y, Xu Z, Yan X, Luo X, Jiang H, Zhu W
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 17
- Nonbonding interactions of organic halogens in biological systems: implications for drug discovery and biomolecular design.
- Authors: Lu Y, Wang Y, Zhu W
- Issue date: 2010 May 14