Myocardial viability: survival mechanisms and molecular imaging targets in acute and chronic ischemia
PublisherLippincott Williams and Wilkins
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMyocardial responses to acute ischemia/reperfusion and to chronic ischemic conditions have been studied extensively at all levels of organization. These include subcellular (eg, mitochondria in vitro); intact, large animal models (eg, swine with chronic coronary stenosis); as well as human subjects. Investigations in humans have used positron emission tomographic metabolic and myocardial blood flow measurements, assessment of gene expression and anatomic description of myocardium obtained at the time of coronary artery revascularization, ventricular assist device placement, or heart transplantation. A multitude of genetic, molecular, and metabolic pathways have been identified, which may promote either myocyte survival or death or, most interestingly, both. Many of these potential mediators in both acute ischemia/reperfusion and adaptations to chronic ischemic conditions involve the mitochondria, which play a central role in cellular energy production and homeostasis. The present review is focused on operative survival mechanisms and potential myocardial viability molecular imaging targets in acute and chronic ischemia, especially those which impact mitochondrial function.
myocardial blood flow
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85016710237&doi=10.1161%2fCIRCRESAHA.116.307898&partnerID=40&md5=7f161e0a5f30b3d5606b9ed9f9208a3b; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10955
- Mitochondrial Transplantation in Myocardial Ischemia and Reperfusion Injury.
- Authors: Shin B, Cowan DB, Emani SM, Del Nido PJ, McCully JD
- Issue date: 2017
- Local infiltration of neuropeptide Y as a potential therapeutic agent against apoptosis and fibrosis in a swine model of hypercholesterolemia and chronic myocardial ischemia.
- Authors: Matyal R, Sakamuri S, Wang A, Mahmood E, Robich MP, Khabbaz K, Hess PE, Sellke FW, Mahmood F
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 15
- Mitochondrial involvement in cardiac apoptosis during ischemia and reperfusion: can we close the box?
- Authors: Machado NG, Alves MG, Carvalho RA, Oliveira PJ
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Electrophysiological, haemodynamic, and mitochondrial alterations induced by levobupivacaine during myocardial ischemia in a pig model: protection by lipid emulsions?
- Authors: Mamou Z, Descotes J, Chevalier P, Bui-Xuan B, Romestaing C, Timour Q
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- [Evolution of concept and metabolic basis of ischemic dysfunction of the myocardium].
- Authors: Kapel'ko VI
- Issue date: 2005