Adherence to Fixed-Combination Versus Unfixed Travoprost 0.004%/Timolol 0.5% for Glaucoma or Ocular Hypertension: A Randomized Trial
JournalAmerican Journal of Ophthalmology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: To assess adherence to treatment with fixed-combination travoprost 0.004%/timolol 0.5% (TTFC) compared with separate containers of travoprost 0.004% and timolol 0.5% (TRAV+TIM; unfixed) using electronic dosing aids. Design: Randomized, controlled, observer-masked clinical trial. Methods: SETTING: Two US clinical sites. PATIENT POPULATION: Eligible patients were adults diagnosed with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension. Patients (n = 81) were sequentially randomized 1:1 to receive TTFC or TRAV+TIM for 12 months. INTERVENTION: TTFC was administered once daily in the morning or evening with a single dosing aid. Patients randomized to TRAV+TIM administered TRAV once daily in the evening and TIM once daily in the morning using separate dosing aids. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE: Adherence with administered medication, as recorded by the dosing aids. Results: Mean ± SD patient age was 60 ± 10 years; most patients were male and white. Compared with TRAV+TIM (n = 40), patients receiving TTFC (n = 41) were consistently adherent on a greater percentage of days through month 12 (60% vs 43%). At months 1, 3, 6, and 12, 80% adherence was achieved by 71% vs 38%, 53% vs 30%, 45% vs 16%, and 32% vs 11% of patients receiving TTFC vs TRAV+TIM, respectively. Significantly more patients were adherent on ?80% of days with TTFC compared with TRAV+TIM (P < .001 to P = .041). Both treatments reduced IOP from baseline, and no safety issues were identified in either group. Ocular hyperemia was the most common treatment-related adverse event (n = 3/group). Conclusions: Patients receiving TTFC maintained better treatment adherence compared with patients receiving TRAV+TIM through 12 months of on-therapy evaluation. This suggests that, for patients requiring multiple IOP-lowering medications, a fixed combination may provide improved long-term adherence compared with unfixed therapy. Copyright 2016 The Author(s)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85010297198&doi=10.1016%2fj.ajo.2016.12.002&partnerID=40&md5=af5d656ea95b173924eec1c8de43056f; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10935
- A 1-year study to compare the efficacy and safety of once-daily travoprost 0.004%/timolol 0.5% to once-daily latanoprost 0.005%/timolol 0.5% in patients with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
- Authors: Topouzis F, Melamed S, Danesh-Meyer H, Wells AP, Kozobolis V, Wieland H, Andrew R, Wells D
- Issue date: 2007 Mar-Apr
- The safety and efficacy of travoprost 0.004%/timolol 0.5% fixed combination ophthalmic solution.
- Authors: Barnebey HS, Orengo-Nania S, Flowers BE, Samples J, Mallick S, Landry TA, Bergamini MV
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- Travoprost 0.004%/timolol 0.5% fixed combination in patients transitioning from fixed or unfixed bimatoprost 0.03%/timolol 0.5%.
- Authors: Scherzer ML, Liehneova I, Negrete FJ, Schnober D
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Observational study of patients switched to the fixed travoprost 0.004%/timolol 0.5% combination in Croatia.
- Authors: Mandic Z, Novak-Lauš K, Bojic L, Popovic-Suic S, Maricic-Došen V, Pelcic G, Dobutovic D, Biuk D, Kovacic Z, Pavan J
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Efficacy and safety of a fixed combination of travoprost 0.004%/timolol 0.5% ophthalmic solution once daily for open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
- Authors: Schuman JS, Katz GJ, Lewis RA, Henry JC, Mallick S, Wells DT, Sullivan EK, Landry TA, Bergamini MV, Robertson SM
- Issue date: 2005 Aug