A multiplex qPCR approach for detection of pfhrp2 and pfhrp3 gene deletions in multiple strain infections of Plasmodium falciparum
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe rapid and accurate diagnosis of Plasmodium falciparum malaria infection is an essential factor in malaria control. Currently, malaria diagnosis in the field depends heavily on using rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) many of which detect circulating parasite-derived histidine-rich protein 2 antigen (PfHRP2) in capillary blood. P. falciparum strains lacking PfHRP2, due to pfhrp2 gene deletions, are an emerging threat to malaria control programs. The novel assay described here, named qHRP2/3-del, is well suited for high-throughput screening of P. falciparum isolates to identify these gene deletions. The qHRP2/3-del assay identified pfhrp2 and pfhrp3 deletion status correctly in 93.4% of samples with parasitemia levels higher than 5 parasites/µL when compared to nested PCR. The qHRP2/3-del assay can correctly identify pfhrp2 and pfhrp3 gene deletions in multiple strain co-infections, particularly prevalent in Sub-Saharan countries. Deployment of this qHRP2/3-del assay will provide rapid insight into the prevalence and potential spread of P. falciparum isolates that escape surveillance by RDTs.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85072117221&doi=10.1038%2fs41598-019-49389-2&partnerID=40&md5=dc2331571b85a059843134f082fca902; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10904
- Multiplex malaria antigen detection by bead-based assay and molecular confirmation by PCR shows no evidence of Pfhrp2 and Pfhrp3 deletion in Haiti.
- Authors: Herman C, Huber CS, Jones S, Steinhardt L, Plucinski MM, Lemoine JF, Chang M, Barnwell JW, Udhayakumar V, Rogier E
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 27
- First evidence of the deletion in the pfhrp2 and pfhrp3 genes in Plasmodium falciparum from Equatorial Guinea.
- Authors: Berzosa P, González V, Taravillo L, Mayor A, Romay-Barja M, García L, Ncogo P, Riloha M, Benito A
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 2
- Deletion of Plasmodium falciparum Histidine-Rich Protein 2 (pfhrp2) and Histidine-Rich Protein 3 (pfhrp3) Genes in Colombian Parasites.
- Authors: Murillo Solano C, Akinyi Okoth S, Abdallah JF, Pava Z, Dorado E, Incardona S, Huber CS, Macedo de Oliveira A, Bell D, Udhayakumar V, Barnwell JW
- Issue date: 2015
- Molecular surveillance of pfhrp2 and pfhrp3 genes deletion in Plasmodium falciparum isolates and the implications for rapid diagnostic tests in Nigeria.
- Authors: Funwei R, Nderu D, Nguetse CN, Thomas BN, Falade CO, Velavan TP, Ojurongbe O
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Variation in Plasmodium falciparum Histidine-Rich Protein 2 (Pfhrp2) and Plasmodium falciparum Histidine-Rich Protein 3 (Pfhrp3) Gene Deletions in Guyana and Suriname.
- Authors: Akinyi Okoth S, Abdallah JF, Ceron N, Adhin MR, Chandrabose J, Krishnalall K, Huber CS, Goldman IF, Macedo de Oliveira A, Barnwell JW, Udhayakumar V
- Issue date: 2015