White matter disturbances in major depressive disorder: a coordinated analysis across 20 international cohorts in the ENIGMA MDD working group
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlterations in white matter (WM) microstructure have been implicated in the pathophysiology of major depressive disorder (MDD). However, previous findings have been inconsistent, partially due to low statistical power and the heterogeneity of depression. In the largest multi-site study to date, we examined WM anisotropy and diffusivity in 1305 MDD patients and 1602 healthy controls (age range 12–88 years) from 20 samples worldwide, which included both adults and adolescents, within the MDD Working Group of the Enhancing Neuroimaging Genetics through Meta-Analysis (ENIGMA) consortium. Processing of diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) data and statistical analyses were harmonized across sites and effects were meta-analyzed across studies. We observed subtle, but widespread, lower fractional anisotropy (FA) in adult MDD patients compared with controls in 16 out of 25 WM tracts of interest (Cohen’s d between 0.12 and 0.26). The largest differences were observed in the corpus callosum and corona radiata. Widespread higher radial diffusivity (RD) was also observed (all Cohen’s d between 0.12 and 0.18). Findings appeared to be driven by patients with recurrent MDD and an adult age of onset of depression. White matter microstructural differences in a smaller sample of adolescent MDD patients and controls did not survive correction for multiple testing. In this coordinated and harmonized multisite DTI study, we showed subtle, but widespread differences in WM microstructure in adult MDD, which may suggest structural disconnectivity in MDD. Copyright 2019, The Author(s).
SponsorsSupport from the NIH Big Data to Knowledge (BD2K) award (U54 EB020403 to PMT) and NIH grant R01 MH116147 (PMT). LS is supported by an NHMRC MRFF Career Development Fellowship (APP1140764).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85072031087&doi=10.1038%2fs41380-019-0477-2&partnerID=40&md5=886d9e2f4b0d7a92e4a5c1bc2e0a589b; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10862
- Diffusional kurtosis imaging and white matter microstructure modeling in a clinical study of major depressive disorder.
- Authors: Kamiya K, Okada N, Sawada K, Watanabe Y, Irie R, Hanaoka S, Suzuki Y, Koike S, Mori H, Kunimatsu A, Hori M, Aoki S, Kasai K, Abe O
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Widespread white matter microstructural differences in schizophrenia across 4322 individuals: results from the ENIGMA Schizophrenia DTI Working Group.
- Authors: Kelly S, Jahanshad N, Zalesky A, Kochunov P, Agartz I, Alloza C, Andreassen OA, Arango C, Banaj N, Bouix S, Bousman CA, Brouwer RM, Bruggemann J, Bustillo J, Cahn W, Calhoun V, Cannon D, Carr V, Catts S, Chen J, Chen JX, Chen X, Chiapponi C, Cho KK, Ciullo V, Corvin AS, Crespo-Facorro B, Cropley V, De Rossi P, Diaz-Caneja CM, Dickie EW, Ehrlich S, Fan FM, Faskowitz J, Fatouros-Bergman H, Flyckt L, Ford JM, Fouche JP, Fukunaga M, Gill M, Glahn DC, Gollub R, Goudzwaard ED, Guo H, Gur RE, Gur RC, Gurholt TP, Hashimoto R, Hatton SN, Henskens FA, Hibar DP, Hickie IB, Hong LE, Horacek J, Howells FM, Hulshoff Pol HE, Hyde CL, Isaev D, Jablensky A, Jansen PR, Janssen J, Jönsson EG, Jung LA, Kahn RS, Kikinis Z, Liu K, Klauser P, Knöchel C, Kubicki M, Lagopoulos J, Langen C, Lawrie S, Lenroot RK, Lim KO, Lopez-Jaramillo C, Lyall A, Magnotta V, Mandl RCW, Mathalon DH, McCarley RW, McCarthy-Jones S, McDonald C, McEwen S, McIntosh A, Melicher T, Mesholam-Gately RI, Michie PT, Mowry B, Mueller BA, Newell DT, O'Donnell P, Oertel-Knöchel V, Oestreich L, Paciga SA, Pantelis C, Pasternak O, Pearlson G, Pellicano GR, Pereira A, Pineda Zapata J, Piras F, Potkin SG, Preda A, Rasser PE, Roalf DR, Roiz R, Roos A, Rotenberg D, Satterthwaite TD, Savadjiev P, Schall U, Scott RJ, Seal ML, Seidman LJ, Shannon Weickert C, Whelan CD, Shenton ME, Kwon JS, Spalletta G, Spaniel F, Sprooten E, Stäblein M, Stein DJ, Sundram S, Tan Y, Tan S, Tang S, Temmingh HS, Westlye LT, Tønnesen S, Tordesillas-Gutierrez D, Doan NT, Vaidya J, van Haren NEM, Vargas CD, Vecchio D, Velakoulis D, Voineskos A, Voyvodic JQ, Wang Z, Wan P, Wei D, Weickert TW, Whalley H, White T, Whitford TJ, Wojcik JD, Xiang H, Xie Z, Yamamori H, Yang F, Yao N, Zhang G, Zhao J, van Erp TGM, Turner J, Thompson PM, Donohoe G
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Association of brain-derived neurotrophic factor DNA methylation and reduced white matter integrity in the anterior corona radiata in major depression.
- Authors: Choi S, Han KM, Won E, Yoon BJ, Lee MS, Ham BJ
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 1
- A COMPREHENSIVE EXAMINATION OF WHITE MATTER TRACTS AND CONNECTOMETRY IN MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER.
- Authors: Olvet DM, Delaparte L, Yeh FC, DeLorenzo C, McGrath PJ, Weissman MM, Adams P, Fava M, Deckersbach T, McInnis MG, Carmody TJ, Cooper CM, Kurian BT, Lu H, Toups MS, Trivedi MH, Parsey RV
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Microstructural abnormalities in anterior callosal fibers and their relationship with cognitive function in major depressive disorder and bipolar disorder: a tract-specific analysis study.
- Authors: Yamada S, Takahashi S, Ukai S, Tsuji T, Iwatani J, Tsuda K, Kita A, Sakamoto Y, Yamamoto M, Terada M, Shinosaki K
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 15