Effects of road salt on microbial communities: Halophiles as biomarkers of road salt pollution
PublisherPublic Library of Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIncreased use of salting to de-ice roadways, especially in urban areas, is leading to elevated salinity levels in soil as well as surface- and ground water. This salt pollution may cause long-term ecological changes to soil and aquatic microbial communities. In this study, we examined the impact on microbial communities in soils exposed to urban road salt runoff using both culturing and 16S amplicon sequencing. Both methods showed an increase in halophilic Bacteria and Archaea in samples from road salt-exposed areas and suggested that halophiles are becoming persistent members of microbial communities in urban, road salt-impacted soils. Since salt is a pollutant that can accumulate in soils over time, it is critical to begin assessing its impact on the environment immediately. Toward this goal, we have developed a facile semi-quantitative assay utilizing halophilic microbes as biomarkers to evaluate on-going salt pollution of soils. Copyright 2019 Pecher et al.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85071778552&doi=10.1371%2fjournal.pone.0221355&partnerID=40&md5=495b7b0a21c6452398b42396d6cf525b; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10841
- Comparative molecular analysis of the prokaryotic diversity of two salt mine soils in southwest China.
- Authors: Xiao W, Wang ZG, Wang YX, Schneegurt MA, Li ZY, Lai YH, Zhang SY, Wen ML, Cui XL
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Response of soil microbial communities and microbial interactions to long-term heavy metal contamination.
- Authors: Li X, Meng D, Li J, Yin H, Liu H, Liu X, Cheng C, Xiao Y, Liu Z, Yan M
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Microbial Diversity in an Arid, Naturally Saline Environment.
- Authors: Bachran M, Kluge S, Lopez-Fernandez M, Cherkouk A
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Effect of long-term changes in soil chemistry induced by road salt applications on N-transformations in roadside soils.
- Authors: Green SM, Machin R, Cresser MS
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Impact of soil salinity on the microbial structure of halophyte rhizosphere microbiome.
- Authors: Mukhtar S, Mirza BS, Mehnaz S, Mirza MS, Mclean J, Malik KA
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 20