Dubbing down translation: The functional interaction of deubiquitinases with the translational machinery
JournalMolecular Cancer Therapeutics
PublisherAmerican Association for Cancer Research Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCancer cells revamp the regulatory processes that control translation to induce tumor-specific translational programs that can adapt to a hostile microenvironment as well as withstand anticancer therapeutics. Translational initiation has been established as a common downstream effector of numerous deregulated signaling pathways that together culminate in prooncogenic expression. Other mechanisms, including ribosomal stalling and stress granule assembly, also appear to be rewired in the malignant phenotype. Therefore, better understanding of the underlying perturbations driving oncogenic translation in the transformed state will provide innovative therapeutic opportunities. This review highlights deubiquitinating enzymes that are activated/dysregulated in hematologic malignancies, thereby altering the translational output and contributing to tumorigenesis.
SponsorsR.B. Gartenhaus is supported by grant funding in part by a Merit Review Award from the Department of Veterans Affairs and NIH (RO1CA164311).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85071760673&doi=10.1158%2f1535-7163.MCT-19-0307&partnerID=40&md5=e17949ee1b8ca8e80e77d79750990e9c; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10830
- Deubiquitinases: Pro-oncogenic Activity and Therapeutic Targeting in Blood Malignancies.
- Authors: Gutierrez-Diaz BT, Gu W, Ntziachristos P
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Targeting the translational machinery as a novel treatment strategy for hematologic malignancies.
- Authors: Hagner PR, Schneider A, Gartenhaus RB
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 18
- Role of the ubiquitin proteasome system in hematologic malignancies.
- Authors: Sahasrabuddhe AA, Elenitoba-Johnson KS
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Protein synthesis control in cancer: selectivity and therapeutic targeting.
- Authors: Kovalski JR, Kuzuoglu-Ozturk D, Ruggero D
- Issue date: 2022 Apr 19
- Eukaryotic translation initiation factors and cancer.
- Authors: Ali MU, Ur Rahman MS, Jia Z, Jiang C
- Issue date: 2017 Jun