The inhibitory effect of quaternary ammonium salt on bacteria in root canal
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPersisting apical periodontitis is a primary reason for multiple intervention in root canal. Persisting bacteria in root canal is related with the persisting infection. Despite the advancement in treatment strategies the persisting infection is a major challenge for endodontist. Here we tested two newly developed quaternary ammonium methacrylates (QAMs) against endodontic bacteria and their biofilms. Their antibacterial and antibiofilm efficiency were compared with chlorhexidine (CHX) and sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl). We measured the MIC, MBC and MBIC of DMADDM and DMAHDM respectively. We also detected the ratio of live/dead bacteria and bacterial composition in the biofilms treated by DMADDM and DMAHDM. We found that DMADDM and DMAHDM could inhibit the growth of bacteria and biofilms formation. The result showed that novel QAMs were remarkably efficient than CHX against biofilms. In addition, we found that Streptococcus gordonii (S. gordonii) and Enterococcus faecalis (E. faecalis) were frequent isolates after treatment with antimicrobial compounds. Copyright 2019, The Author(s).
SponsorsThis study was supported by the National Key Research Program of China (2017YFC0840100 and 2017YFC0840107 to L.C.); National Natural Science Foundation of China grant (81430011 to X.Z. and 81870759 to L.C.); International Science and Technology Cooperation Program of Sichuan Province (2017HH0008 to L.C.); Innovative Research Team Program of Sichuan Province to L.C.
Keywordquaternary ammonium methacrylates
Periapical Periodontitis--prevention & control
Root Canal Therapy
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85071495381&doi=10.1038%2fs41598-019-48666-4&partnerID=40&md5=73f33b024b808d57b62f530ee48c538d; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10824
- A novel antibacterial resin-based root canal sealer modified by Dimethylaminododecyl Methacrylate.
- Authors: Liu D, Peng X, Wang S, Han Q, Li B, Zhou X, Ren B, Xu HHK, Weir MD, Li M, Zhou X, Cheng L
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 23
- Drug resistance of oral bacteria to new antibacterial dental monomer dimethylaminohexadecyl methacrylate.
- Authors: Wang S, Wang H, Ren B, Li X, Wang L, Zhou H, Weir MD, Zhou X, Masri RM, Oates TW, Cheng L, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 3
- Formation of persisters in Streptococcus mutans biofilms induced by antibacterial dental monomer.
- Authors: Wang S, Zhou C, Ren B, Li X, Weir MD, Masri RM, Oates TW, Cheng L, Xu HKH
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 4
- Effect of antibacterial dental adhesive on multispecies biofilms formation.
- Authors: Zhang K, Wang S, Zhou X, Xu HH, Weir MD, Ge Y, Li M, Wang S, Li Y, Xu X, Zheng L, Cheng L
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Do quaternary ammonium monomers induce drug resistance in cariogenic, endodontic and periodontal bacterial species?
- Authors: Wang S, Wang H, Ren B, Li H, Weir MD, Zhou X, Oates TW, Cheng L, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2017 Oct