The Use of Radiation Therapy for the Treatment of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma: Expert Opinion from the National Cancer Institute Thoracic Malignancy Steering Committee, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, and Mesothelioma Applied Re
JournalJournal of Thoracic Oncology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: Detailed guidelines regarding the use of radiation therapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) are currently lacking because of the rarity of the disease, the wide spectrum of clinical presentations, and the paucity of high-level data on individual treatment approaches. Methods: In March 2017, a multidisciplinary meeting of mesothelioma experts was cosponsored by the U.S. National Cancer Institute, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer Research, and Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation. Among the outcomes of this conference was the foundation of detailed, multidisciplinary consensus guidelines. Results: Here we present consensus recommendations on the use of radiation therapy for MPM in three discrete scenarios: (1) hemithoracic radiation therapy to be used before or after extrapleural pneumonectomy; (2) hemithoracic radiation to be used as an adjuvant to lung-sparing procedures (i.e., without pneumonectomy); and (3) palliative radiation therapy for focal symptoms caused by the disease. We discuss appropriate simulation techniques, treatment volumes, dose fractionation regimens, and normal tissue constraints. We also assess the role of particle beam therapy, specifically, proton beam therapy, for MPM. Conclusion: The recommendations provided in this consensus statement should serve as important guidelines for developing future clinical trials of treatment approaches for MPM.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85067574879&doi=10.1016%2fj.jtho.2019.03.030&partnerID=40&md5=cad4077dc69d010c8adaaa0a297139c6; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10802
- Radiologic Considerations and Standardization of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma Imaging Within Clinical Trials: Consensus Statement from the NCI Thoracic Malignancy Steering Committee - International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer - Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation Clinical Trials Planning Meeting.
- Authors: Gill RR, Tsao AS, Kindler HL, Richards WG, Armato SG 3rd, Francis RJ, Gomez DR, Dahlberg S, Rimner A, Simone CB 2nd, de Perrot M, Blumenthal G, Adjei AA, Bueno R, Harpole DH Jr, Hesdorffer M, Hirsch FR, Pass HI, Yorke E, Rosenzweig K, Burt B, Fennell DA, Lindwasser W, Malik S, Peikert T, Mansfield AS, Salgia R, Yang H, Rusch VW, Nowak AK
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Radiotherapy for the treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Authors: de Perrot M, Wu L, Wu M, Cho BCJ
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Current and Future Management of Malignant Mesothelioma: A Consensus Report from the National Cancer Institute Thoracic Malignancy Steering Committee, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, and Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation.
- Authors: Tsao AS, Lindwasser OW, Adjei AA, Adusumilli PS, Beyers ML, Blumenthal GM, Bueno R, Burt BM, Carbone M, Dahlberg SE, de Perrot M, Fennell DA, Friedberg J, Gill RR, Gomez DR, Harpole DH Jr, Hassan R, Hesdorffer M, Hirsch FR, Hmeljak J, Kindler HL, Korn EL, Liu G, Mansfield AS, Nowak AK, Pass HI, Peikert T, Rimner A, Robinson BWS, Rosenzweig KE, Rusch VW, Salgia R, Sepesi B, Simone CB 2nd, Sridhara R, Szlosarek P, Taioli E, Tsao MS, Yang H, Zauderer MG, Malik SM
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Induction chemotherapy vs post-operative adjuvant therapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Authors: Marulli G, Faccioli E, Bellini A, Mammana M, Rea F
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Failure patterns after hemithoracic pleural intensity modulated radiation therapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Authors: Rimner A, Spratt DE, Zauderer MG, Rosenzweig KE, Wu AJ, Foster A, Yorke ED, Adusumilli P, Rusch VW, Krug LM
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 1