Stratification of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients: A crowdsourcing approach
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAmyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a fatal neurodegenerative disease where substantial heterogeneity in clinical presentation urgently requires a better stratification of patients for the development of drug trials and clinical care. In this study we explored stratification through a crowdsourcing approach, the DREAM Prize4Life ALS Stratification Challenge. Using data from >10,000 patients from ALS clinical trials and 1479 patients from community-based patient registers, more than 30 teams developed new approaches for machine learning and clustering, outperforming the best current predictions of disease outcome. We propose a new method to integrate and analyze patient clusters across methods, showing a clear pattern of consistent and clinically relevant sub-groups of patients that also enabled the reliable classification of new patients. Our analyses reveal novel insights in ALS and describe for the first time the potential of a crowdsourcing to uncover hidden patient sub-populations, and to accelerate disease understanding and therapeutic development. Copyright The Author(s) 2019.
KeywordDREAM Prize4Life ALS Stratification Challenge
stratification of patients
Amyotrophic Laterial Sclerosis
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85060520844&doi=10.1038%2fs41598-018-36873-4&partnerID=40&md5=cee2822d9e7d404d4b5ec2728f2e6fcd; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10764
- Crowdsourced analysis of clinical trial data to predict amyotrophic lateral sclerosis progression.
- Authors: Küffner R, Zach N, Norel R, Hawe J, Schoenfeld D, Wang L, Li G, Fang L, Mackey L, Hardiman O, Cudkowicz M, Sherman A, Ertaylan G, Grosse-Wentrup M, Hothorn T, van Ligtenberg J, Macke JH, Meyer T, Schölkopf B, Tran L, Vaughan R, Stolovitzky G, Leitner ML
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Model-Based and Model-Free Techniques for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Diagnostic Prediction and Patient Clustering.
- Authors: Tang M, Gao C, Goutman SA, Kalinin A, Mukherjee B, Guan Y, Dinov ID
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Complete hazard ranking to analyze right-censored data: An ALS survival study.
- Authors: Huang Z, Zhang H, Boss J, Goutman SA, Mukherjee B, Dinov ID, Guan Y, Pooled Resource Open-Access ALS Clinical Trials Consortium.
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Being PRO-ACTive: What can a Clinical Trial Database Reveal About ALS?
- Authors: Zach N, Ennist DL, Taylor AA, Alon H, Sherman A, Kueffner R, Walker J, Sinani E, Katsovskiy I, Cudkowicz M, Leitner ML
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Molecular classification of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis by unsupervised clustering of gene expression in motor cortex.
- Authors: Aronica E, Baas F, Iyer A, ten Asbroek AL, Morello G, Cavallaro S
- Issue date: 2015 Feb